? Bureaucracy | Main | And the Fork ran away with the Spoon ?

A fork in the road

My cycling friend Dan came in one day a few weeks ago with a flattened, beat up looking fork that he had found in the road. We laughed about that. Itís an odd place to find a fork, considering the proximity of where we normally eat to the road. And then thereís the play on words, ďcoming to a fork in the road.Ē So itís kind of humorous to find a literal fork in the road.
I canít imagine that itís a common occurrence, and probably has varying reasons as to how it got there. But there it was.
Earlier this week I was riding home and I was amazed to find a fork in the road myself! It was flattened by cars running over it but not so beat up. It must not have been out there too long. When I showed it to Dan, we both laughed even harder
When I told my wife she laughed too, but then reminded me of an incident that happened about 3 years ago. She and I were going camping at a canoe-in campsite along the river. We strapped our canoe on top of the car and headed out. Evidently I didnít strap it down well enough so along some deserted country road we had to pull over and tighten the straps. As we finished tying it off, she noticed a fork in the road. We laughed about it then too and it eased the tension. My wife still has it in her glove compartment as a souvenir to remind her of the adventure.
Normally when we come to a fork in the road, we have to choose a direction. In this case itís a good reminder of why we are making the choices we are. We chose to laugh off the stress of the canoe almost going airborne.
I cleaned off my fork and hung it up like a piece of artwork in my cubicle at work to remind me that my choices are leading me to better health and overall wellbeing. I came to a fork in the road and now Iím heading in a better direction.

Posted by carl1236 at July 13, 2004 11:59 PM