? Review Time | Main | Faith ?

Z693.A52 1976

Last night I found the book I was looking for. Itís now properly cataloged and located in my collection at Z693.A52 1976. I searched high and low for it. I looked through every book on my shelf, one at a time. I knew it was there, so it was a matter of actively looking for it with the intention of finding it. When I found it I was delighted. I was thrilled that I found it and that it was finally going to get put to use. Without looking, the book was lost and the opportune time to use it would have been gone. When I eventually did find it I would have missed the benefit of it during the process of cataloging my books. Even though the missing book is old and outdated, itís very informative to me and gives me background knowledge on libraries and cataloging that I wouldnít have had.
Looking for my book is like what God wants us to do. Look for our answers like we know they are there and donít dismiss it until we find it. God always answers us.
ďAsk, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you: for every one that asks, receives; and whoever seeks, finds; and to whoever knocks, it will be opened.Ē (Matthew 7:7-8)
Asking, seeking and knocking are active participation. When we were children and wanted something we went to our parents and asked for it. When we lost something we searched high and low for it like it was something of great value. When we went to our friends house, we knocked on the door and expected to go in.
This is a promise that gives us peace and hope. We have to actively participate in this promise and we will be shown the way. Think about the reverse of this; if we donít really want it, are we actively trying to get it? If I lost my book and wanted to find it, was I willing to look through every book on the shelf to find it? If we are talking about more than just physical things, what does that mean for our souls? What is it we really want in life? Love? Peace? Happiness? Ask like a child asks a parent, seek like itís something valuable we have lost, and knock like we expect to go in.

Bonus question for you library savvy people: What book did I find buried in my shelves of unorganized books? Youíll be happy to know It is no longer lost between the shelves and resides in a place I can easily retrieve it: Z693.A52 1976 ;-) See my September 9th blog entry LIBRARY CATALOGING FOR DUMMIES. http://blog.lib.umn.edu/carl1236/dailyspirit/2004_09.html#005145

Posted by carl1236 at September 15, 2004 11:59 PM | Knowing God

Hey, how cool that you found your book! I love that sense of righteous discovery when you find something that you knew was lurking somewhere, you just weren't sure where.

Your book must be Akers' simple library cataloging, by Susan Grey Akers. I don't know this particular book, but it sounds like it will be useful to you. Excellent!

Posted by: Stacie at September 16, 2004 8:18 PM

Stacie you are a top-notch Librarian! good answer! I can't even believe I have this book. I must have picked it up about 6 or 7 years ago and it's been sitting there, out of sight, out of mind. It is an interesting book, but a little out of date. It does show me a lot of terminology used in cataloging, and it covers the Dewey Decimal System really well. I'm using the LC classifications and there is a littel bit of information about that, but mostly I think this book is good for background information and is bringing up some things I did not think about before. Especially as I'm structuring my database to hold all of these records, I can see what kinds of information I need to include for searching later. Haha, I'm NOT going to be making a card catalog like they show in the book!!! (1970's - 6th Edition)
Thanks for your comments Stacie! Peace.

Posted by: John at September 16, 2004 10:12 PM