? Learning Vocabulary | Main | Drafting ?

Learning Chin Falam

Did I ever mention the other languages Iím studying? One of the most interesting is the Chin Falam language, from the western side of Myanmar (Burma). Itís interesting because very few people speak it compared to the rest of the world. Someone once asked me why learn such an obscure language when a language like Chinese or Spanish would be more practical in this world. My answer is that to me, Chin people are not obscure. I see them clearly with my heart. Iím learning it because I have friends that speak it. They are living in India because they had to flee their own country. Will Myanmar find democracy some day? The country is run my a military junta. Why does a country that small need one of the largest militaries in the world? Anyway, itís nice to be able to ask my friends in their own language, ďhow are you?Ē Na dam maw?

Posted by carl1236 at November 11, 2004 5:43 AM | Life

It's great to know that you are interested in our language.
I want to share my opinion about some of the vowel
that the two Falam Chin Literature debate and becam two groups now a day.
It's all just about the two vowel "O and AW"
It is interchangable to use sometimes but it's can't be in another things.
It is why the two big group has emerge in our Falam tribe.
It make so slow to grow up our literature because of that two group.
If you really interest I have to share you so many
about that.

Thanks for considering my mail.

Sincerely yours,

Jeremiah
Myanmar

Posted by: Jeremiah at December 4, 2005 9:46 PM

Jeremiah! I am so happy you found my blog. Let's talk in email! I definately want to talk more about your language! From the outside looking in, it's very difficult to find anyone who speaks your language here. Are you living in Myanmar now? What city or village are you in? My friend sent pictures and a vcd of the Chin hills and it's very beautiful.
I have a very simple question, maybe you can explain... what is the difference between saying, "ka dam so khaw," and "ka dam a si?"
Languages are very interesting and yours is very lyrical and songlike. I listened to some music too, and realize what a waste it would be to lose a language so beautiful to the ears. Humanity should think about the loss in assimilation and control.
Peace,

Posted by: John at December 4, 2005 10:23 PM

hi, it's nice to know you and how interesting you are in other people languaes.
I am also falam chin but now in Philippines for study.

ukpi

Posted by: ukpi at March 7, 2006 6:27 AM

Na dam maw?! ka lung awi zet! So how are you doing there in school? Where are you now in the Philippines? Can we talk more? Feel free to leave your messages here in the Chin Language if you want. It would be fun for me to translate and try to respond! I hope school is going well for you there.
Rual John

Posted by: John at March 7, 2006 4:57 PM

great to know you are interested in falam chin language. One of the great places to learn the language is forum.kanfalam.com. You can ask what you want to know, and you can communicate with other members who are all Falam Chin. You might want to try the forum subtitle "Lai Tong, Tong Khun, Tong Thuk, Tong Fim". Falam tong thuhla hmuahhmuah na sut thei.

damten,
MM

Posted by: salai at May 10, 2006 11:18 PM

hi friends,
One of the best and most useful things i have ever seen in my life is speaking and writing Falam Chin language....It is very similar to Spainish pronounciation....And we don't need to create computer language because we use English Alphabet..A...B...C...D...
Thank God for Falam language....

Posted by: Zm at August 22, 2006 8:56 PM

hi friends,
Thank God for Falam language....

i think i might be in interested in fakam language, if some one could explian,it seems it is very similar with my dialect which is spoken in the norther part of Indonisia.please some one help me.

Koino
indonisia

Posted by: koino at October 13, 2006 9:37 AM