? VocabuLearn | Main | The music Im listening to ?

Leonardo DaVinci

Im still looking at my new books about Leonardo Da Vinci. Very fascinating person. Leonardo was born in a little Tuscan hill-town of Vinci on April 15th, 1452. He lived there until he was about 13 to 17 years old, then later went to Florence. One quote I found interesting is, He is a poor disciple who does not excel his master. referring to his Florentine mentor, the famous sculptor and artist del Verrocchio. It appears he did not say this in boastfulness, but in a humble way that reflected his underlying attitude toward learning. This reminds me of one of my all-time favorite quotes, One is taught in accordance with ones ability to learn. Some people have said that the pupil can never exceed the master, but I think history has proven that wrong. Much of it might be the difference in attitude between the Master and the Pupil. A pupil doesnt think they have mastered the art and continues to learn, while the Master by definition thinks they have arrived so may slow down or discontinue seeking after mastery. Excelling our masters in life has nothing to do with the skill level of our master but everything to do with our own attitude and willingness to observe and learn and grow.

Posted by carl1236 at November 11, 2004 6:06 AM | Life