? Listening Comprehension | Main | Spiritual Journey ?

Where is God?

I was talking with some friends yesterday about exercise and being healthy, aging and changing lifestyles. As we were talking, one of them brought up the subject of being religious. Thatís one of those words that kind of has a negative connotation now days. It seems restrictive and controlling. In many cases people who attend church or go to their temple or meditate are labeled as religious. I guess following a specific religion makes a person religious.
But people are being much more than religious when they are practicing their religion. They are attempting to touch their souls. They are attempting to realize their connection with the source of life. Sometimes itís easy to forget why we are here and get wrapped up in our own little worlds, but overall I believe that people know intuitively that there is much more to life than our physical existence.
No matter what religion we are, or if we prefer not to be labeled as religious, underlying our practice and belief system is a desire to be happy and a desire to know and express our purpose for being. Our labels are actually inadequate to describe our relationship to the divine. Our existence cannot be separated from it. We donít really know how to put into words something like life. Where do we begin? We can easily define who we are by labeling ourselves as Architects or Doctors or Lawyers, or Christians or Buddhists, or Muslims, but these words are also inadequate, because we are much more than that. We are alive. We are sustained by the universe around us. We belong to it; we are it.
Throughout the centuries human beings have been trying to understand our connection to everything around us, and deeply desiring there be a connection. Native Americans know that everything is alive with spirit so everything is connected and sacred. Therefore, our walk on earth is a sacred spiritual journey. But often in our limited sight we see God as existing outside of her creation. Yet in our universe all of creation is an expression of God. We can see and know God by looking at life around us and in us. We are part of the whole. We fit and belong to it. Our physical and spiritual worlds are not separate.
It has been said that God lives at the center of the universe and the center of the universe is everywhere, it is inside of each of us. God has told us that he is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, all that was, that is and that will be.
Now we know where God is. Everywhere we look we see Godís face. Where does God live? God lives in all of creation. God is the spirit in everything. God is the one energy that all energy comes from. Without God we would not exist. God is closer to us than our own breath. This is why Jesus said to us, ďWhen I was hungry you gave me food, when I was thirsty you gave me something to drink, when I was a stranger you made me your friend and took me in, when I was naked you clothed me, when I was sick or in prison you came to me. Whatever you have done to the least of your brothers or sisters, you have done to me.Ē
Our connection with God is much closer than we often make it. We donít have to look very far; we just have to be able to see God where we look. If we see God, we know how to love God with all our hearts and we know how to love others as our self. We intuitively know how to live our lives. One could say this is being religious, but itís really much more than that, itís being alive and being aware. And itís not something to be ashamed of or afraid of, because we cannot separate life from God. Itís just the way it is.
Does knowing this effect the way I live my life? Yes, because now Iím going to work at the group home to take care of God. Iím helping God correct her paper for a presentation at an upcoming conference. Iím tutoring God in English to help him survive in America, Iím teaching God how to drive, Iím planting God for a better environment, Iím reducing the toxins in the air and water that God is breathing and drinking. I am thanking God for helping me and giving me life. I am not stealing from God or Cheating God out of something. I am not harming God for my own gain, pleasure or greed. At least I am trying my best to treat life as respectfully as I am able to. I am learning and changing because before I was blind and could not see God. The more I become aware of God the more I am thankful I am alive. Whatever I am doing, I am doing to God.

Posted by carl1236 at November 20, 2004 7:33 AM | Knowing God

Awesome. Well-written. A welcomed pleasure to the end of a very tedious week. Thank you.

Be good to you - I mean God,
Presh

Posted by: Precious at April 28, 2006 4:04 PM

Thank you, you are very kind. And I enjoyed reading your latest post on your blog. Thank you for that also.

John

Posted by: John at April 28, 2006 11:30 PM