? Living in a mosquito net | Main | 'Twas the night before Christmas and my pedal fell off... ?

Mongoose on the loose!

Today I rode about five and a half miles on my new Mongoose Surge Mountain Bike in the cold. As I mentioned in my previous post it was -8F / -27F with wind-chill, the coldest day so far this winter I believe.
I wore my blue long underwear, Dockers style work pants, black windbreaker pants over that, my blue dress shirt, blue sweater, heavy winter jacket, black winter gloves, military ski mask, polar fleece hat and helmet. My upper body was too hot. I was sweating. The wind was really cold when cruising down the
Ohio Street hill, but I had hardly any exposed skin, so I was protected. I'll need a lighter windbreaker
jacket for my upper body at this temperature or take my sweater off. I wore leather work boots with thin wool socks first, then thick nylon winter socks. My feet were plenty warm but my hands started
getting cold but were still comfortable. Also my forehead became too hot in that hat. I think it will take me a while to figure out what to wear at which temperature, but I know itís totally possible. I thought it would be ok, because Iíve done cross-country skiing in colder weather.
Even so, I was not the only one out there today on bicycle, so I donít think this is that incredible of an accomplishment. But it is liberating to know I can ride my bike any time. If you are still riding your bike and are planning on riding it through the winter, I would like to hear from you. I am now planning on riding all the way through. I hear the days are getting longer now too.
Oh yes, one note: The only uncomfortable part of the ride was when I hit a stretch of road that had half-frozen slush piled up on the side of the road in the bike lane. I started sliding a little in that part, which made me panick a little. I am still planning on looking into studded tires and snow chains. to make it through the worst weather. In the mean time I can enjoy the semi-clear roads. The mountain bike tires are sufficient for that.

Posted by carl1236 at December 23, 2004 11:23 PM | Winter-Biking

Funny that most people think we're cold when we're riding our bikes in winter. In my experience, and yours apparently, the bigger danger is being too hot. I avoid wind-proof fabrics in general, especially on my upper body. I prefer to have a small amount of breeze getting in so I don't get all sweaty.

I'm game for staying on your parents' farm for the MS 150, assuming, of course, that they aren't axe murderers. That Mesabi trail ride sounds fun too. I looked at the map and it doesn't seem like it would be that long of a ride. Are you sure camping would be necessary on such a trip? Either way, sounds like a good time.

Posted by: Jim at December 25, 2004 2:25 PM