? Mongoose on the loose! | Main | Christmas Festivities ?

'Twas the night before Christmas and my pedal fell off...

Yesterday I decided to take my mountain bike for a ride. It was a cold day yesterday, but again I was over dressed for the occasion. Even so, it was a great ride. I rode down to the bluff overlooking Harriet Island, then turned westward and followed the bluff all the way around the bend. It was great! I rode through some woods on trails covered in snow and I had some great views of the frozen river way down below. My intention was to make a large loop around the neighborhood and return home. I was about a mile away from home when my right pedal completely fell off!
I didnít have a wrench with me and the hole on my pedal shaft was stripped most of the way through so the pedal wouldnít stay in when I turned it by hand. That was a problem. At least I didnít have too far to walk back home. I walked the bike the rest of the way across the park, and then once back on the road, pedaled with one foot the rest of the way.
There was a basic reminder in this for me. And that is to listen to my intuition. You know, that inner voice that warns us or gives us a hint. Mine told me to attach the tool bag under my seat. But I didnít want to go out to the garage to get it off my old bike. It would have made my ride home easier if I had a wrench to reattach my pedal. But it all worked out ok and exercise is exercise. A little walking didnít hurt me and my left leg got a little extra workout.
Sometimes itís difficult to listen to this inner voice. We often override it for more convenient options, like disregarding it. Then in retrospect we say something like, ďI knew I should have brought my tool kit!Ē Because we override this inner voice so frequently we have the impression that itís not reliable. However itís something we all seem to have. And with practice listening to it we are often amazed at how right it is. Amazing things can also happen. Like the time I ran into the friend who needed help with the computer because my inner-voice told me to turn around and walk a different route. Being more aware and in tune with our surroundings, with each other and with ourselves is a good life skill to work on.

Posted by carl1236 at December 25, 2004 9:01 PM