? Impact of human beings on the environment | Main | I did it! ?

Get a haircut and get a real job!

My Checklist for today

Take the old carpeting to the garbage
Take the Russian books to the University
Pick up something from the Korean professor
Buy a Korean book at the bookstore
Go to the Reuse Center to look for bookshelves
get a haircut

Things not on my list that I had to do

Go back to the Reuse Center to pick up my 8 bookshelves
Go to Menards to buy some spraypaint to paint the bookshelves
Patch the hole in my ceiling where the hanging plant used to be
Eat dinner
write my blog entry
Fix the flat tire on my bike
Work on book editing
Study Korean

Things I did not have time to do

Get a haircut
Exercise
watch the new CSI episode on TV

Things I want to do but have to wait for

Read more of How to think like Leonardo da Vinci
Look at the cool german language picture book I found for 97 cents at the bookstore
Do research for an upcoming project
Watch the cycling movie American Flyers

Things I have to do tomorrow

work
paint my shelves
prime and paint the ceiling
make another list

Isn't a day off work fun? I'm going into work early tomorrow so I can leave early. It's going to be soooooo nice out! :-) I'm getting spring fever!

Posted by carl1236 at February 3, 2005 9:17 PM | Life

What motivates you to learn Korean?

Posted by: 강미 at February 4, 2005 4:35 AM

강미;미 씨 안녕하심니까? Thank you for the comment! Also, I really enjoyed looking at your site. I was happy to read it and see some of the links you had.
As far as my purpose or motives for learning Korean, I'm still working on that. My purpose for learning Korean has changed since I started, but I do also plan on learning Korean for the rest of my life. It's just something I must do.
To explain briefly, I started out learning Korean because I wanted to help a Korean-American friend with some difficulties she was going through, and one of the things she said she really wanted was to learn Korean. So I signed us both up for a Korean language class, but the stress of it was too much for her and she decided she couldn't go. All in all, she found her way through the troubles she was facing, but never did get to the Korean. But my purpose of helping her make it through her tough times was accomplished so I didn't press her on it. Some day maybe I'm hopeful she will continue to learn Korean.
Then since I was in the class, I decided to keep going. I was having fun learning the alphabet. I took more classes and started learning about Korean culture and history and could really identify with King Saejong the great, and was hooked. After a while, I decided I wanted to go back to the University to study Linguistics to help me understand and learn foreign languages better. My purpose for learning Korean then shifted to being a second foreign language requirement. I am also speak german fairly well, and a little Russian, but since I was studying Korean at the time, I decided I would take that as my second foreign language for my degree program. Now I have completed 3 semesters of Korean at the University and have one more to go. Since starting this process of learning Korean and about Korea I have since been thinking of ways to help North Korea, so that's been another motivator to keep me going. That's why I say I'm still trying to work on my purpose. I have an overall vision, but no clear routes. I just know that learning Korean is something I have to do as a beginning point. Now that I've found your site, I'll be sure to read it more. Thanks, and I look forward to talking to you more about Korean and Korea.
John

Posted by: John at February 4, 2005 10:30 PM

Thanks for the follow-up response. I understand the part when you say it's something you have to do, because that's the way it works for me.

Good luck on your studies.

Posted by: 강미 at February 5, 2005 7:43 AM