? Comfy Computer Chair | Main | Q & A ?

Information Please.

One of the frustrations of learning a language is the lack of the proper words to express what is in my mind.
When I look things up in the dictionary I want to know the correct word to use. But many times there are several words listed without an adequate explanation of what each word really means. So it can be a little like detective work. First I have to go to the Korean section of the dictionary and look up each Korean word given in the definition. This helps me find the correct form of the word Im looking up, and also can take hours to do. Thats frustrating in itself.
But then I consider that the same word in English can have different meanings. In english the word information can be either data or news about something. Example, There is a lot of information about Korea on the internet, or I received information about the conditions in North Korea.
When looking up the word, Information in my dictionary it lists the following words for the definition:

통지 (Comes from Chinese Characters) a notice; a notification; information; an advice (상
업상의 business conference; consultation)
통지하다 to inform (notify) (a person) of (a matter); give notice of (a matter); let (a person) know.

Examples:
I got (received) (a) notice that I had passed the entrance examination.
입시 합격의 통지를 받았다
Wait until further notice.
다음 통지가 있을 때 까지 기다리시오
I have not received any information about this matter.
이 사건에 관해서 아무런 통지도 받지 않았읍니다
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
정보 (from Chinese Characters) (a piece of) information; intelligence (비밀의); news.
보고 (from Chinese Characters) a report.
보고하다 to report; to inform (a person of an event.)
보고 (from different Chinese Characters) a treasury; a treasure.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
보도 (from Chinese Characters) a report; news; information; intelligence.
보도하다 to report; inform (a person) of (a fact); publish the news.
보도 (from different Chinese Characters) guidance; direction.
보도하다 to lead; guide; direct.
지식 (from Chinese Characters) knowledge; information
지식의 보고 treasure-house of knowledge
지식을 활용하다 to put ones knowledge to practical use

If I look up these words in the Korean section of the dictionary, I find they dont all mean, Information. To me information is not the same as knowledge. Information is the raw data before we learn it. After we learn the news about North Korea we know something about North Korea. The information came to us, and we now have knowledge.

Except I still dont have the knowledge to say, Information becomes knowledge.

When I look up the word for Data I get another clue. In my dictionary it lists both지식 and정보. So now I think the proper word to use in my sentence is정보.

Except even with this information I still dont have the knowledge to say, Information becomes knowledge, without first knowing how to say, becomes, or changes into.

The verb, 되다 means to become; get; be; grow; turn; develop.
I looked up change and found four items for change into.:
변하다 (from Chinese characters) to change; undergo a change; be altered; turn into; vary.
바꾸다 exchange; change; barter
바뀌다 change [turn] (into); be changed [altered, varied]
...으로 갈아 입다 (갈아 입다 to change ones clothes)

So I think Information becomes knowledge. = 정보는 지식이 되요.

Am I right? Using the reverse lookup method, I feel like I went down the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland and emerged hours later to find Ive been having a bad dream.

Posted by carl1236 at February 7, 2005 11:58 PM | Korean

안녕하세요~ ^^

한국어를 배우신다니 참 반갑습니다.

한글로 ?볼게요~

저는 한국?서 중국어중국학? 전공하고 있는

대학?입니다.

우연히 ? 블로그를 발견했어요~ ^^

저? 외국어 배우는 것? ?미가 많답니다~

?악과 ?전거?? 관심? 많으시군요...

저? ?악? 사랑하고, ?전거 타는것? 좋아해서,

? 곳? 글? ?고 정? 반가웠습니다.

앞으로 ?주 ?류하는 친구가 ? 수 있기를 바?며...

2006.1.12.목요?

Posted by: Leem-Jung-Eun at January 12, 2006 9:02 AM