? Never a lack of things to talk about | Main | When I felt like quitting ?

Giving it the 3rd Degree

Today I was reviewing the theme of weather in Korean. I was looking in my book and ran across the word for ‘degree’ which is 도. In Korea they always use Celcius, 섭씨, followed by the number then the counter도. Example: 오늘 아침 기온은 섭씨 6도, 낮 기온은 13도가 되겠습니다. “The temperature this morning was 6 degrees Celcius, and it will be 13 degrees in the daytime.”
One problem though. I read this out lound and couldn’t remember if the counter도 uses pure Korean numbers or Sino-Korean numbers. I could not find this information anywhere in my books, but I did see it was part of the listening comprehension, so I listened to how they read the number 6 and 13. It’s Sino-Korean numbers! Good to know! From now on I have to memorize the numbers with the counters! To read this outloud it sounds like섭씨 육도.
This week I have to find some Korean weather reports to watch. 봄이 되겠다.

Posted by carl1236 at February 28, 2005 9:57 PM | Korean

My sister just told me last night there is a Korean service at Bethany Baptist church near Cleveland & Co Rd B (2025 Skillman Ave W 55113).

Posted by: nathan at March 3, 2005 11:17 AM

Oh very cool. I think I will go there sometime. I have a Korean/English bible but haven't spent much time with it, because frankly, my languages skills are still too weak to comprehend it, but I'm working on it. Thanks for the tip! And thank your sister also!

Posted by: John at March 3, 2005 8:45 PM