? My first longer ride of the season | Main | Time and ability to do it all ?

Rat Tales

Today I ran 5.5 miles again at lunchtime, again at exactly 45 minutes. My new shoes did absorb more schock, especially on the downhill runs. An interesting part of today's run was how cold it was compared to yesterday. It was strange trying to stay warm and keep cool at the same time. I get hot and sweaty when I run, and my head and hands get very warm so I usually end up taking off my hat and gloves after the first mile. But today the wind was so cold and strong, it hurt to run without protection from it.
My motivation today was not sagging before the run. It did drop when that freezing cold burst of air hit me hard. I wanted to quit and go back. Then running up the long hill I thought my lungs would burst and my muscles were burning and felt week. I wanted to quit then.
But I didn't quit. I kept looking at my goal and thinking I have to get better at this. Saturday I have a 4 mile race, which I'm looking forward to. I predict I'll run that with about 7:30 miles, at least that's my target, which I think I can do.
But today about 3/4 of the way through my run I almost stepped on a dead rat that was huge! It was bigger then two of my cats! It must have been uncovered by the big thaw yesterday. When I saw it, I almost stepped on it, but it shocked me so bad, I jumped into the air and let out a yelp. haha, then after I calmed down I looked around to see if anyone had seen me do that. No-one was around though. After seeing that dead rat I didn't have any more motivation problems running back to the office. I think my pace actually increased.

Posted by carl1236 at March 7, 2005 9:35 PM | motivation

Eeew, icky! That's gotta be one big ole rat!

Hey, got the other book tonight finally--thanks :) When I uncover my brain from the wreckage, I'll try to get through that and the cookbook! When do you need them back?

Posted by: RR at March 7, 2005 11:41 PM

No, I didn't expect them back. They will be more use to you. If you finish with them and decide you don't want to keep them, you can give them to your professor or pass them on to another student or something.

Posted by: John at March 8, 2005 6:20 AM

Awwww, that's too nice! I'm excited to be done with my class (if I don't keel over from Russian overload before it's done) so I can get back to my cooking & baking!! I'm excited to try a few of the recipes in there that look really good. I'm sure it'll take me awhile to figure out WHAT exactly is in the recipes, etc, but that will be a cool summer thang and keeping my Russian skills working. Thank you soooo much :)

Hey, congrats on the race!

Posted by: rr at March 14, 2005 10:19 AM