? Last Nightís Missing Entry: | Main | Thank you ?

Going to the Emergency room

This morning I was having chest pains and I thought I was having a heart attack. The excruciating pain lasted for about fifteen minutes and as soon as I could move we went in to the emergency room. It turns out my lungs and heart and whole cardiovascular system are in excellent condition and I had some swollen, inflamed muscles and torn inter-connecting cartilidge in my lower three ribs right above my heart. The doctor gave me some anti-inflamatory medicine and sent me home to rest. Probably caused by doing too many push-ups at once yesterday, without building up. I think I will pay more attention now to how much Iím doing, especially if itís a new routine.
Anyway, the doctor said he wished he had my lungs and heart and veins and I suggested he ride his bike to work. He laughed and said the only bike he was going to ride was his harley. His choice.

During this emergency trip this morning, my wife, my daughter and I had a lot to think about. Often we donít think about it so seriously until we are going into the emergency room. Iím thankful itís not my tirme right now to go. So is my family. Even though I accept death as inevitible, itís difficult to plan future things and think about Ďwhat ifí at the same time. Today we were forced to think about it.

As it turns out, there were many other people in the emergency room that had far worse problems than me. One was a severely injured bicyclist who was hit by a car driver quickly backing out of his driveway without seeing the bicycle at all. Something else for me to think about as a bicyclist.

Posted by carl1236 at April 14, 2005 11:58 PM | Life

Good to see you're still alive John. Sounds like quite an experience.

Posted by: Jim at April 15, 2005 7:34 AM

How scary!! Glad to hear things turned out well and that your other organs are happy and healthy!! YAY!

Posted by: RR at April 15, 2005 8:11 AM

Bummer about the scare. Glad you're all right.

That doctor - what a smart fellow. Reminds me of people that say "You're so lucky your wife can stay home with the kids!" No, we're not lucky, we made decisions to allow that. But that's not what they want to hear, so they keep "riding their Harleys", as it were.

Peace!

Posted by: nathan at April 15, 2005 8:57 AM