? The Non-Iron Crotch | Main | My day in the rain ?

I have a handle on it, sort of.

Last night I spent two hours scrubbing the rust off the handlebars, stem and bolts on this Armstrong bike. It did shine up nicely! Today I went into the bike shop and found out that one very nice man who rides a vintage British 3-speed had some identical white hand grips that were in better shape than these. Mine are all scraped up on the ends. He had left four of them in a bag with my name on it. That was very nice.
Slowly but surely this bike is being dismantled, to hopefully be put back together in time for the ride. Iíve decided thatís the only way to do this right. It will be stripped down to the bare frame by the time Iím done with it. Then it all goes back together.

Problem number 2: How do I get old bicycle registration stickers and strips of reflectorized stickers off without wrecking the paint underneath? I tried a couple different versions of goo and tar remover, but neither one can penetrate this type of sticker. Iíll have to try something else.

Posted by carl1236 at April 25, 2005 9:33 PM | Bicycle Restoration

I've heard that spraying stickers and decals with WD-40, then letting it sit and soak in for awhile does the trick. The labels peel right off.

Posted by: Jim at April 26, 2005 8:44 AM

Thanks Jim, I'll try that. Or letting that goo-gone stuff sit overnight. I didn't let it soak long enough maybe.

Posted by: John at April 26, 2005 11:26 AM

Hair-dryer.

Posted by: nathan at April 26, 2005 2:08 PM

Oh yeah! I saw a guy doing that on TV Last night with old paint on a stairway they were refinishing! Good idea! I'll try that too! Thanks Nathan!

Posted by: John at April 26, 2005 3:35 PM