? Motivation eclipse | Main | No Plans are complete without... ?

Sustainability

This morning and today at work I experienced a period of low-energy. My muscles are tired and weak. Sunday I did a hard 60-mile bike ride. On Monday I only rode about 5.4 miles on my bike and Yesterday I rode 6 miles on my bike and ran for about 2 miles.
This morning I tried to ride with Kevin and Rich. It was ok at first, but I quickly felt exhausted and weak. I couldnít maintain their pace. After about 10 miles, I slowed down to a 16mph pace on a straight, long-flat stretch. I only rode with them 13 miles this morning. I felt like my muscles just didnít have it and my lungs were breathing as hard as they could. Iíve been yawning all day. Even last night I went to bed fairly early, so I know I got about 7-8 hours of sleep.

Maybe it was the cold,
Maybe I need more recovery time after such long, hard rides,
Maybe I need more conditioning to sustain a rigorous workout schedule.
Maybe Iím not ready for that group of riders
Maybe I didnít have enough fuel, since I skipped breakfast, thinking Iíd eat afterwards.
Maybe itís like the song, Ďthis old gray mare, she aint what she used to be, aint what she used to be.í Haha.
Maybe itís a combination of some of these or all of them or something else.

In any case I could not sustain a high level of energy for very long today. By 4pm I was even nodding off at work. Today I ate two lunches, tonight I plan on getting a good nightís rest and in the morning eating Ĺ hour before my ride tomorrow with Kevin and Rich again. Weíll see how it goes.

By the way, in my experience, all the bike racers Iíve met so far are super nice people. This is a good spirit to have. I especially recognize Kevin who rode back and tried to reassure me that itís ok and that I probably needed more recovery time after that ride on Sunday. He said Iíd feel better tomorrow. It was nice of him to take the time to do this.

As far as my athletic plan goes, it will take time and a lot of hard work and my ability to sustain will improve. By next year at this time It is my belief that Iíll have a much stronger base with improved nutrition and fitness habits. Iíve already made such great changes and a low-energy day may be reason to evaluate what I am doing and how I am doing it, but is no reason to give up.

Posted by carl1236 at April 27, 2005 4:59 PM | Cycle Racing

I vote, in order:

- Conditioning (so you don't need long recovery times)
- Lack of breakfast
- Cold

Stick with it! :)

Well, that's two Wednesdays in a row I've missed down at the Depot. It's hard when it's cold & wet after having been so warm. Should be easier next week...

Posted by: nathan at April 28, 2005 10:29 AM

Hahah, last night it took me all evening to fix one kid's BMX bike. It had one of those rotating handlebars. Kind of ingenious how they set those up. I had to replace the front brake cable and found that someone had tried this before and jammed a bunch of frayed cable in the headset, so when I tried to put the new cable through it messed up the ends of it! I learned a few lessons there. But I completed the whole bike tuneup including a tube change, front and back brake adjustment, chain lube and rear freewheel lubrication. So it was a good night for me.
Most of the people there last night were working on their own bikes though and some were just hanging out, chatting and eating popcorn, so don't feel bad about missing a few volunteer nights. I think there will always be work to be done there whenever we can make it.

Posted by: John at April 28, 2005 10:47 AM

You should get some rest. Take a couple days and don't bike or run at all. After that, you'll likely feel refreshed.

Sometimes after I've been riding to school every day for a couple weeks straight, my legs start feeling slow and wooden. After a day off, my legs felt stronger and nice 'n springy.

Rest is good for you.

Posted by: Dan at April 28, 2005 10:49 AM

Yes, you are right Dan. Thanks. I know I talk a lot about rest being important, but really that is one of the challenges I face all the time. It's good advice. I'm still working on it. I changed my plans and took this morning off from riding too. I do feel better and by tomorrow evening I hope to be feeling strong enough for a nice hard, long ride. Training has really magnified my need for proper balance in fuel and rest and exercise. Sometimes it's hard to know until my muscles just give out. But I'm learning. hehe. slowly.

Posted by: John at April 28, 2005 4:40 PM