? Losing Sole, Gaining Soul | Main | 46 Miles and the Break is over ?

Peace

What brings us peace inside? Sometimes we are in a very agitated state and nothing seems to help. We fly around like a tornado, trying to occupy ourselves so we don't have time to think too deeply. On Monday night my neighbor and I rode our bikes around the neighborhood and talked. Before that he was going a little bonkers. After taking a break and chatting together for a half hour while riding around, he felt at peace and could rest. I think just having someone to talk to can alleviate a lot of the agitation in our minds. This is getting it off our chest, and not letting it eat us up inside.
Unfinished business can cause a lot of stress for us also and peace inside comes when we finish it with a job well done. Tonight at the bike shop I was working on an old 3-Speed bike for sale, cleaning it up and adjusting the gears. At the end of the evening all I had left to do was put a couple of cable clips on the frame to hold the cables in place. The other people in the shop wanted to close down and go for a bike ride, but I wanted to finish this bike before leaving. If I didn't, who knows when I would have gotten in there to do it. I was not at peace while looking for the cable clips and thinking about what would happen to this bike the next day if it wasn't done. So I made them wait for me while I finished the bike. It brought me great peace knowing that it was done. I put a price tag on it and walked out the door. The ride was peaceful and I didn't think about that 3-Speed bike I was working on. Getting that ONE job done was enough to bring me peace.

Posted by carl1236 at June 1, 2005 10:27 PM | Balance

How crazy is this? I was searching Google for CD reviews that I could add to my music website... and lo and behold I came across a very kind and thoughtful post by carl1236! Carl was writing about a music performance I gave about one-year ago to this date, I think it was June 24th 2004. Thanks Carl for the kind words, I'm so glad to hear someone who was inspired and understood why I play music.. to be alive!

To make it even stranger, after clearing my mind through meditation tonight, I was sitting on my porch drinking some tea and started thinking about how important biking has become in my life... it has become an active form of meditation for me, and provides an endless amount of inspiration and stress release. Not to mention, the more I ride the more I make good on my committment to share the responsibility for air pollution and global warming with my neighbors. We're all in this together!

How remarkable is it that one year ago Carl caught Samadhi with my music, and today Carl has helped me discover Samadhi with my bike? If you read this (or anyone else!), email me if you like jeff@jeffraymusic.com

Thanks Carl, and I'll keep in mind a quote you once posted..

“When the spirits are low,
when the day appears dark,
when work becomes monotonous,
when hope hardly seems worth having,
just mount a bicycle and go out
for a spin down the road,
without thought on anything
but the ride you are taking.”

Posted by: Jeff Ray at June 15, 2005 8:06 PM

Hey Jeff! I'm one of your biggest fans! I love your music. I hope to catch you playing around here soon. I see you updated your website, it looks great! For everyone else, check it out, Jeff has some samples of his music online to listen to. It's some of my favorite music to listen to while riding my bike!

Jeff, because of the way the U of M sets up emails, carl1236 comes from my last name.
This is just me, John. I know names are a little disguised on here so it's hard to tell. Since you are riding more now, let's get together and go for a ride sometime.

John

Posted by: John at June 16, 2005 12:04 AM