? 46 Miles and the Break is over | Main | Busy Weekend ?

Learning a lesson

The process of troubleshooting a bike is no different than troubleshooting software. When you really understand how something is supposed to work, it's easier to diagnose why it's not working. Today I was working on a customer's bike while he was waiting so there might have been just a little pressure to get it fixed quickly. first I had to fix both flat tires. That was easy. then I had to adjust the brakes. That was easy. Then I had to adjust the Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub. That was not going so well. Just when I thought I had It started acting up again, missing a gear. I tried backing it off, I tried tightening it, I tried readjusting the indicator chain. Nothing worked, until I discovered my shifter lever was sliding up and down the handlebar. After I tightened that I tried to get it to shift but it was not shifting into first gear. Dave looked at it and backed off the adjustment screw and it started working. I started with the screw all the way off, so my methods were correct, but I failed to start back at the beginning after I secured the shifting lever. So now I should not have to make that mistake again. When troubleshooting anything, we can only do one fix at a time and there is a reason for sequences. I am so happy that I am able to learn lessons.

Posted by carl1236 at June 3, 2005 11:36 PM | Attitude