? Interesting day | Main | Banding together ?

The bunny hop

Tonight at our make-up training session for the rain days we had in the Beginning Racer's Program we practiced the bunny hop. That was fun. The objective is to "hop" the bike over potholes and other obstacles. It takes a little practice and coordination to pull up with both feet at once while lifting the handlebars and continuing to pedal. But eventually I got it. Maybe if I had practiced this before I might not have broken a spoke when I hit a pot hole on Sunday's ride.

Friday night is the Velodrome - Track Racing! I can't wait to experience it.

Posted by carl1236 at June 13, 2005 10:24 PM | Cycle Racing

Just be thankful for clipless shoes! When I was a kid we had to do bunny hops on platform pedals. With heavy steel pseudo-BMX bikes. Uphill. Both ways! ;)

Posted by: michael at June 14, 2005 9:38 AM

Oooohhh the velodrome! I didn't know you had a track bike John. I heard the splinters are nasty, so try to stay upright.

Posted by: Jim at June 14, 2005 10:33 PM

No I don't have a track bike, we are using their bikes. We bring our pedals. I've heard it's an experience we don't want to miss. Haha, staying upright is always a good plan.

Michael, thanks for the comment. That reminds me about what we did with our bikes as kids. Evel Knievel was popular then and we used to build wooden ramps and spread them out and see how far we could jump. And haha, we even had our friends lay down between the ramps. We spent an entire summer once practicing jumping bicycles further and further. I was fun! And we did wipe out, but be got right back up and did it more. Tonight riding home I was jumping over potholes and manholes and train tracks for practice. It was kind of a neet feeling going airborn and landing just right without a huge thud.

Posted by: John at June 15, 2005 12:10 AM

Hehehe. I loved that kind of stuff. One of my favorites was riding down an alley and doing a kick-out with the rear tire into every big metal garbage can along the way.

Posted by: Michael at June 15, 2005 9:01 AM