? Road Art | Main | Finding out if your tent is secured ?

Building Fences together

tonight I gave up my bike ride to continue building a fence with my wife. She had started earlier today and made a couple of mistakes putting a few pieces together. When I discovered the mistake she got upset because it meant we would have to undo what she did to start over. She got really down on herself and said something to the effect, "Why do I even try these things!?" But I reassured her that it wasn't that big of a deal and not to worry about it or get down on herself. We could fix it fairly quickly and get it done.
One of my base philosophies is to never be too hard on oneself. We can be our own greatest enemy sometimes.
So then I proceeded to put the fence together with my wife's assistance. I made three big mistakes, each time having to tear apart what I just did. I didn't do it on purpose, but I felt my frustration level rising. Then I realized that I just got to experience the frustration my wife felt. What a gift! This is another good reason to not be too hard on others either. It's better to look for solutions than to find fault. That's how we build fences together.

Posted by carl1236 at June 16, 2005 10:43 PM | Love your Neighbor