? The body and spirit are weak | Main | The best laid plans... ?

Are we even remotely alarmed by what we have created?

Shouldn't everyone be alarmed by this situation? Enough to say we are making a mistake in the way we are doing things?

I received this alert in my email today:

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency has issued an air polution health advisory for high ozone (smog) levels in the Twin Cities that may extend north to the Brainerd area for Thursday June 23. The ozone should be dispersed to much lower levels on Friday due to a cold front which will bring cooler temperatures and rain.

According to the MPCA, sunny skies and very hot weather will combine with lingering ozone from Wednesday and build rapidly. The Air Quality Index (AQI) is predicted to reach 101 which is the threshold level for the category: "Unhealthy for sensitive groups." Sensitive groups include those with heart or lung disease, children, the elderly and those who exercise vigorously outdoors. These groups should postpone or reduce heavy or prolonged exertion (play shorter games, walk instead of run,
and take more breaks).

Ozone is most common in hot summer weather and also requires volatile organic chemcials and exhaust emissions from engines, power plants and other sources to form.

To help reduce ozone levels it is important for us to reduce additional contributions to the problem by:
* Driving less to reduce vehicle exhaust
* Postponing use of small engines such as lawnmowers
* Postponing projects that inolve painting or the use of solvents and
* Refuel when it's cool (after 8 p.m.).

For additional information about reducing air pollution, visit Clean Air Minnesota at:
http://www.mn-ei.org/air/resources.html#Factsheets

To check hourly updates of the AQI, go to http://aqi.pca.state.mn.us/hourly/

Posted by carl1236 at June 23, 2005 12:01 PM | Attitude

I know, we're not killing THE world, we're killing OUR world. People don't think about the fact that the environment we're destroying is the environment that WE can survive in. The earth will just shake us off like flies, it don't need us. WE NEED IT.

I'm thinking of bring rubber gloves on walks so that when I see garbage I can pick it up as I go along. My hubby does this already but I'm all worried about being sanitary so I don't like to touch stuff unless I can wash my hands right away!! And that's only a tiny MINUTE part of the problem with the environment. Most of the problems need to be solved at the global level.

Posted by: RR at June 23, 2005 2:15 PM

Haha, you and John do that too! When I walk around the park with my coworkers I always pick up trash and throw it in the can. At first they started teasing me, but now I got them doing it too! ;-)
On the global scale we can only do what we have within our capability to do. If we cannot even do what we are capable of doing, then how can we expect to do what we are not?
Global starts with that one piece of trash, with one less car, with changing our purchasing habits, etc.
Anyway, thanks for the post RR. :-) Glad to see someone else cleans up our public spaces too. The planet does belong to all of us and is all of our responsibilities.

Posted by: John at June 24, 2005 7:03 AM