? Are we even remotely alarmed by what we have created? | Main | The Amazing, Incredible Greenway Getaway ?

The best laid plans...

My fitness plans get put aside when I stay up too late. This morningís ride was a bust because I was up too late last night. But I had a nice morning with a cup of coffee and watched a special on TV about the building of the Queen Mary II Luxury liner cruise ship. Itís the largest cruise ship in the world. This thing has itís own wastewater treatment plant onboard that treats wastewater biologically back to drinking water standards! They then use the treated water to wash the decks and do laundry. This ship is so large and complex that even the best plans had problems. After 5 years of work by thousands of people, it finally went out to sea for itís first tests. Engines failed to start, controls failed and the force of the bow thrusters blew one of the doors completely off. It sunk to the bottom of the ocean. But evidently they learned a lot from the failures of the Queen Elizabeth II because that ship had to limp back into port after major problems.
I found this whole process very interesting but I probably wonít be riding on this cruise ship in my lifetime. At 1500 to 30000 dollars for admission, this floating city isnít on my list of places to visit. It is an amazing engineering feat though.
This morning I was supposed to go pick up a load of bicycles that are being donated to the bike shop but Dave was supposed to call Bill to help me, and then get back to me to see when he could do it. He hasnít called me yet, so my plans are on hold. Today I have to work on my bicycle trailer and try to get it done. Tonight is the second Critical Mass ride in St. Paul. Iím planning on going. Tomorrow is the grand re-opening of the Greenway. Iím planning on being there.
Notice I'm blogging in the morning?

Semper Gumby. Itís a good motto.

Posted by carl1236 at June 24, 2005 8:32 AM | Attitude

The late night wasn't all wasted effort. It allowed me to catch up on the wide variety of activities my brother is into. I had no idea! Also talking the futures of technology and the ins and outs of non-profit organizations - coming from a corporate world those challenges are a little different - was a great conversation! It really expanded my thinking and views on the realms of possibilities.

Posted by: Scott at June 25, 2005 5:50 PM

Thanks Scott,
It was fun! We do need to talk more often!

Posted by: John at June 25, 2005 11:53 PM