? The best laid plans... | Main | A bike ride, breakfast, Star Wars, dinner and a bike ride ?

The Amazing, Incredible Greenway Getaway

Today I went to the Grand Re-Opening of the Greenway Bike and Pedestrian Trail. It was simply amazing. We brought a few artbikes there to donate, listened to the opening speaches, saw the cutting of the ribbon, then rode back and forth on the Greenway a few times. We stopped and looked around at the lake for a little bit and used the restrooms. We would have had a hotdog or something, but they were charging 2.95 for a plain hotdog! Forget it. We went back on the Greenway and had some free cookies. Peace Coffee was there giving out samples and showing off their trailer that they make deliveries in. That was cool. I stopped and talked to a lot of people. They had music there also. One of my favorites was a group playing various home-made instuments. I had met one lady from the group before in the bike shop and she told me about some drums they had made from old bicycle wheels. It was very interesting to me but after that discussion I had not seen or heard anything about them. Then today I saw them in action. Very cool. Today my heart beat in rhythm as they played.
I met another guy who builds wind chimes out of old discarded bicycle frames. He's trying to get that business going but so far no-one is buying. I talked to an old guy with a big white beard riding an ancient JC Higgins single-speed, coaster brake bike. He loves it. I liked him too. He was cool. He said he's going to come and visit me in St. Paul at the bike shop sometime.
I really like the Greenway. I can't wait until they connect it to St. Paul. It will create a great network of trails.

Jim has organized Sunday morning rides so I'm going to head over to Lake Nokomis by 7 to enjoy his company again. But thanks to his great idea, I'm bringing my brand new flat-bed bikego trailer along to do some garage sale bargain shopping. After breakfast that is. I just finished my trailer right before I had to leave for the Greenway grand opening and the bright yellow paint was still wet, so I couldn't bring it along today. I'm excited to try it out for something practical. I'm going to hunt for bicycles and books and if I find something I like, I'll be able to haul it back. This trailer is 2.5 feet wide by 6 feet long and attaches to my seat post. I'ts all made out of lightweight wood, with a couple metal braces and cables and screws. It has 16-inch wheels. The whole thing only cost me about 25 dollars to make. It was worth the time!
Speaking of trailers, I saw someone in my neighborhood twice today hauling around a BOB trailer. Interesting. We had a neighborhood wide garage sale today, so he must have been looking for bargains also.

Sunday is our 22nd Wedding Anniversary so in the afternoon my wife and I are doing something special. We're going to see the new Star Wars movie. We can be pretty romantic huh? At least we didn't have a costumed-Star-Wars wedding like some people we heard about. What geeks! ;-) We have come pretty close to the Dark Side a few times, but never gave in totally to our anger. There was still good in us. We could feel it. The force was strong in this marriage. The phantom menace was exposed and defeated, balance has been restored to the Force and there a New Hope for the future.

Have a great Sunday!

Posted by carl1236 at June 25, 2005 11:50 PM | Life

John,
I hope I didn't miss you. I might've been a few (<5) minutes late. I waited around for about 10 minutes and didn't see anybody. I went for a ride around Richfield for about an hour, then headed home. At any rate, I hope you do well at the garage sales.

Posted by: Jim at June 26, 2005 1:40 PM