? Serendipity | Main | Look at those smiles! ?

When Pain is good

Tonight after work I went to County Cycles and rode with the Gopher Wheelman. It was hard for me because I've been slacking lately, but it felt really good to inflict some pain on myself (push myself really hard). I couldn't stay with the group for the whole ride so I took a shortcut that cut about 9 miles off my ride. About 5 miles from the shop the lead group of 4 caught up to me. I was really happy to see them because I was already riding by myself dealing with the strong winds and was tired, so I drafted behind them the rest of the way in. When we arrived I used the bathroom and came back out to see the second group come in. After the ride I was at 60 miles and still had another 10 miles to ride home. Now just after 11pm, my legs are stiffening up and I'm tired. I can tell I had a good workout. When I told my wife how good it felt, she told me, "They have medications for that." haha.
I'm really happy Dan asked me to go to this ride with him tonight. He could tell I've been in a little slump lately with my training. But tonight I trained and it was good!

Posted by carl1236 at June 30, 2005 11:11 PM | Cycle Racing

John, you are an amazing cyclist.

If you hadn't heard, only 4 of 14 finished the 400K.

Posted by: Jim at July 1, 2005 12:10 AM

No, I had not checked their site since the last time. 400k really is a long way and I think it would require a lot more preparation than I had put in; Mainly a lot more distance riding over a 100 miles.

Still that 400k would have been fun to try. I'll have to set my sights on some bike touring in the next few years.

Posted by: John at July 1, 2005 9:10 AM

After reading of your ride I feel like I've been in a slump...I have had time for 20 miles daily on a stationary bike...Good Workout.

Posted by: Curt at July 1, 2005 4:05 PM

Thanks Curt! I think you are doing great too. I've always found it much harder to ride a stationary bike; there's no coasting there! ;-) One of my main obstacles though is my sleeping habits. I cut myself short on sleep, then can't train properly or efficiently. It'll change though. Tomorrow morning I'm going on a ride with a new group of people from the Twin Cities Bicycle Club (TCBC). I could find a group ride every single day of the week, morning or evening, but the motivation to get out there and do it sometimes is lacking. If you can do it daily, you are stronger than I am! haha.

Hey, I just checked out the WCBDD website. Very nice! I still miss the people at the group home I was working with.

Posted by: John at July 1, 2005 10:40 PM