? Another hot ride | Main | Change requires discipline ?

Early to Bed, Early to Rise?

Makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise? Last night I went to bed at about 9:15 PM. Wow, that's early. I couldn't sleep at first so I read for a little while and finally just put the book down and began some breathing/relaxing techniques, like yoga, to calm myself down enough to fall asleep. The last time I saw on the clock was 9:39 PM.
This morning my alarm rang at 5 AM but I couldn't get up. I finally woke up at 6AM. That's about 8 hours of sleep! I have to admit I feel pretty good right now! But it just doesn't seem right to go to bed so early! haha. Now I'm going for a bike ride and then to work by 7:45.
I guess the wisdom part comes in when I realize the importance of getting enough sleep, regardless of whether I'm a morning person or night person. I see it as shifting my internal clock, which may not be easy. Regardless, I still need to get the right amount of sleep for proper health and balance in my life. We'll see how it goes. Today is a good second day of conversion.
Have a great day!!!

Posted by carl1236 at August 2, 2005 6:44 AM | Balance | CHANGE

Ever since starting my 'new' job (19 months ago) I have gone to sleep around 10 and woken up at 6. I still have trouble dragging myself out of bed that early, and sometimes I don't want to ride my bike to work. But when I make myself do it anyway, I'm always glad I did!

Posted by: Sui Generis at August 2, 2005 7:57 AM

This morning I rode 21 miles at an average speed of 20MPH!!! I was pretending I was doing a time trial and rode right through every hill. It was fun but exhausting. For some odd reason I had more energy riding in this morning than last night going home. But now I'm really tired. I have thought that I might be setting myself up for failure by trying to do too much exercise in the morning, but like you said, once I'm doing it, I'm glad I did it.
Now I just have to stay awake at work haha. Tonight I might have to go to bed at 8PM!!! ;-)

Posted by: John at August 2, 2005 10:13 AM

I have slowly become a morning person - up at 6:00am and bed at 9:00 or 10:00pm. I like staying up late at night every now and then but much prefer seeing the world come to life in the morning.
Also, here is a link to some interesting facts on bicycle safety and what to do about it.
http://www.worldwatch.org/features/vsow/

Posted by: Scott at August 2, 2005 7:24 PM