? Ah the cool, cool rain! | Main | Plogging by the light of a campfire ?

Another Late Night for a morning person ;-)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's difficult to get to bed early in order to get up early when I have activities at night that keep me out late. Tonight was volunteer night at the bike shop. We had a meeting there that was important so I had to be there. I left there early, at about 7:45pm to go out for something to eat and personal financial planning with my wife. So here it is 9:49pm and I have to go to bed again.

Change can be complicated and we may have setbacks, but if it's worth changing, then it's worth being persistent. I have to keep trying. Just like me changing myself into an athlete. I keep reminding myself that before March 16th, 2004 I was in really poor shape and doing NO exercise at all. Today I ran 6 miles at a pace of about 7:20 per mile. So I know I'm in way better shape than I was a year and a half ago. I have to be persistent, and keep working at it, but if I am not looking at the overall picture and keeping things in perspective, I can also too easily minimilize my changes and not value how far I've come. Usually that happens when I am constantly comparing myself with my future goals or with others.
My changes to be a morning person and an athlete is very challenging but will be worth it. I guess I could say that it's easier for me to change if I have a purpose for and desire to change. Maybe even I can say that I have to have a purpose for and desire to change for it to happen. Then persistence is one of the tools to make it happen. Even with minor setbacks it won't stop me.

Posted by carl1236 at August 17, 2005 10:00 PM | CHANGE

your thoughts are wonderful and inspiring. i myself am a 'new' athlete. i quit smoking 4 months ago and 3.5 months ago started training for sprint triathlons. its hard and the dedication runs out sometimes. I appreciate your blog for encouragement and guidance. best of luck and keep at it!!

Posted by: debbie at August 18, 2005 8:43 AM

Posted by: debbie at August 18, 2005 8:44 AM

Posted by: debbie at August 18, 2005 8:46 AM

Thank you Debbie! And I'm happy to hear from anyone who reads this blog! :-) It's very cool you are getting into working out. I know it's hard isn't it?!! But anything worth doing is worth working for. I am thankful that I have stuck with it. It's not a big deal to me, but I know it's made some difference. Every pair of pants I own is about two sizes too big right now! haha. The largest benefit though is that I feel better overall.

Now... I just have to be more consistent with training and work more. Good luck on your fitness goals too!

Posted by: John at August 22, 2005 10:31 PM