? A new headboard | Main | Monday Night Running a bike shop ?

Haircuts for free

After buying my Wald hair clippers with attachments and cutting my hair myself, I'm now on haircut number four, which means this haircut was free. My equipment was paid for on the third haircut, using 10.00 per haircut as my guide. With the hot weather and wearing a helmet while biking, having short hair has been great! It's much cooler and very easy to take care of. Nothing against long hair, because last year I was a hippy with a ponytail. No kidding. It's just way more practical this way.
So, now to share my wealth from getting free haircuts, I am now offering a free haircut to anyone who asks me. Of course you might get what you pay for. I'm not a pro yet, but it is free. Just send me an email anytime and we'll make arrangements.
My attitude with this self-hair-cutting thing is not to go against barbers or hair stylists. Everyone has their place. What I am illustrating to myself here is that we often get stuck in one mindset that things have to be a certain way, just because that's the way they are. With creativity and a willingness to try things, it is truly amazing what we can do. We are not powerless. We are not helpless. We can do and create things because that is who we are. Step outside of the mold and be bold. Actually it's not bold at all cutting my own hair, but it feels good. Many people would not even attempt to do this. I would not have when I was younger, although It would have been very beneficial to me then, since I had to have my hair cut short once every month for my job. Now I don't need to and I am doing it myself. Go figure. It's fun though and economically a good thing for me.
Want a free haircut?

Posted by carl1236 at September 11, 2005 9:23 PM | Attitude

LOL - John, you're a trip! What a good, wacky idea for an offer.

I bought a clippers a few years ago, too. I think it's even a Wald. My wife got tired of me having short, short hair, though, and started "forcing" me to go have it cut. Due to reading about you, I busted it out a couple weeks ago to do my hair with the long guide to see how that would work. My son asked for a cut, too, and has received a lot of compliments on it. He's so proud to tell people he got it cut at home.

Posted by: nathan at September 13, 2005 10:52 AM

Yes, almost as wacky as this offer:
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/carl1236/dailyspirit/020162.html
which nobody took me up on either.

Now I'll make both offers again, even though I got rid of that wobbly, poorly designed Tandem, I'll rent myself out for tandem rides. (We can rent one for 15 dollars per day through the bike depot) We just have to coordinate with my schedule to make sure I'm free, but it would be fun to ride some trails or do an organized ride together. You pay the 15 dollar rental fee and get a driver for free!

So with a free tandem bike driver and free haircuts I guess I could be called a "bicycle barber." Or maybe not. haha.

Who is bold (or crazy) enough to take me up on both offers? Preferably not at the same time. ;-)

Posted by: John at September 13, 2005 1:32 PM

If you rode stoker your hands would be free to give a haircut, I suppose. Take an awfully long extension cord, though...

Posted by: nathan at September 14, 2005 9:09 AM

Did you ever see the haircut machine in the movie Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang? I would have to use pedal power of course. We should be able to rig up some kind of generator capable of running a hair clippers right? Haha, too funny. I still wouldn't try that though. I could see it now...

Hair is nice and even...
Hit bump...
Clipper scalps rider in one spot...
Have to even out the cut...
rider is bald.

Hey, on another topic, Nathan I'm still really thankful you showed up last night and were willing to help. That was awesome. I look forward to working together more in the future. You have a good, level head.

Posted by: John at September 14, 2005 12:34 PM

Yeah, I'm planning on at least attending the next meeting. This last one was very stressful and I'm glad Tom told me as I was leaving that it wasn't representative of the half-dozen meetings he's been to. Hopefully I can find a good role to fill, whether that's as treasurer or something else.

Posted by: nathan at September 15, 2005 9:16 AM

hair cut is very longer

Posted by: barinder at September 1, 2006 12:26 PM