? They will wear you out | Main | Two more eggs ?

Volunteers

What makes volunteers do what they do? Volunteers do a lot in this country and this world. I believe it's a way to give back to our fellow human beings. To me the motivation to volunteer comes from a desire to use my gifts, talents and resources to benefit others. I'm trying. I don't always do a great job of it, but I am trying.
Tonight there were six volunteers (and a seventh one waiting for a bike to be fixed) in the bike shop. The volunteers were helping me with the reorganization and cleaning by sorting parts into bins. It's a huge job and I'm thankful for the help. The seventh person was a lady who buys bikes and gives them to kids and adults that she teaches english to. Why is she doing it? Because these bikes really help these immigrants survive in this society. It turns out that bikes are reliable, cheap transportation! haha.

Posted by carl1236 at September 26, 2005 11:59 PM | motivation

Hey,
I stumbled upon your website and I am really interested in what you are doing with bicycles...I am a student at Macalester college, in St. Paul, we have been working really hard to start a student bicycle coop. We have salvaged and repaired approximately 25-30 bikes now, which we are lending out to students, and we also have a slew of bikes in disrepair chained to the end of a campus bike rack. I would be interested in talking to you, in figuring out how our organizations could work together and learn from each other about the goals of our projects. Send me an email, jtanzman@macalester.edu, or call me (651) 204-0464.
peace,
jason

Posted by: jason at October 2, 2005 12:43 PM

Wow, Jason, this is a timely coincidence. I am very interested in working with you and strengthening our relationship. This is exactly what I mean by forming partnerships and collaborations. You might not have made the connnection between me and the bike shop where I've been spending a lot of time, but I have 8 more bikes in the shop with your name on them. About the bikes in disrepair... How about some classes in bike refurbishing and some volunteer assistance some night to crank through them? Do you have a little shop space set up? We can take this offline, but I want you to know I think what you are doing is a great thing and want to do everything I can to help you in your efforts. I hope you can come by the shop on Monday or Wednesday night to pick up your bikes and the supplies you ordered. Also, It would be cool if you could come to the Greasepit with me on Thursday night at 6pm for some volunteer work and then their collective meeting afterwards. (About 9:15pm or so they go out for pizza) They have a 'management' meeting every two weeks after their normal shop hours. It's a learning experience for me also.

Posted by: John at October 2, 2005 10:52 PM