? Writing about Life | Main | Team Building and Community Building ?

Attacked by a dog

Tonight while riding home from the bike shop a dog came charging out from between a couple of houses, into the street and was snapping at my right leg, barking at me. Obviously it startled me and I didn't know what to do. Should I have stopped pedaling or sped up? I yelled at the dog in a stern voice, "Go home!" and it backed off. Then it regained steam and came charging after me again, at which point my amazing and extensive dog language came out again, "Go home!" and the dog backed away again and stopped chasing me. I probably could have said anything with the tone of voice I used on the dog and it would have backed down. But even though it worked, I was more than a little shaken by it. I had enough adrenaline to get me home for sure!

Posted by carl1236 at November 1, 2005 11:56 PM | Bicycles

I usually shout "No". It's a word that most dog's understand.

Posted by: Gordon Fisher at December 18, 2005 12:02 AM

Haha, yes, I was joking about my extensive knowledge of dog language. At that time I was really freaked out and all I could think of was "Go Home!" funny huh? Why would that phrase pop into my head? Anyway, I'll try "NO!" next time. Good tip.
What is it about bicycles that get dogs so riled up? Is it the almost inaudible squeak of a chain that their ears are more capbable of hearing? Or the whirring sound of the wheels as they go around? Their reaction is almost like how some male dogs respond to other male dogs when they meet on the sidewalk.

Thanks for the tip Gordon, I'll let everyone know how it works the next time I'm chased by a dog.

Posted by: John at December 18, 2005 3:13 PM