? S.A.D. | Main | Who am I? What am I doing here? What am I supposed to be doing? ?

A beautiful Love Story

Today I was feeling a little heavy with all of the stuff going on at work and I decided to treat myself to a warm smile, café mocha and a cookie. It was a very nice break. I just love Anne, the owner of the Boiler Room coffee shop in Downtown St. Paul. She is so nice. She is a good-hearted person.
So I was sitting there eating my cookie and sipping on my mocha and Anne was talking to a friend who was telling about her relationship. I was trying not to listen in, but I was sitting right next to her so it was kind of hard not to. It was such a good story that I almost cried. Anne’s friend was being empowered in her relationship and and that was a big step for her. I had to ask for a lid and get out of there before I got all teary-eyed. She was so happy inside it was bubbling out. I’m happy that she had a friend like Anne to share her love story with and that I was there to hear it. I told her it was a beautiful story and wished her the best.
On my way back to the office I was just walking along and the snow was falling and every step was in pace with the snowflakes falling and my mind was calm and happy and I was blessed by a real break from work and all of the negative thoughts. I felt light like the snowflakes. I remembered a phrase that a friend uses often, “God doesn’t give us more than we can handle.? I think It’s a good phrase and when my heart gets heavy the timing of some lightness is appropriate. On Monday I almost got hit by a car and the blog site was down and my boss wasn’t speaking to me and then Monday evening I had a good chat with Andy and his enthusiasm was contagious and made me realize that yes, this is a good thing we are doing. Then last night the students from Mac were at the bike shop and they bought a tandem bike and started renovating that for use on campus. It was so cool that they were so excited about it. And since I took a couple of days off from riding my bike after my near death experience, they gave me a ride home.
I think we need a warm smile and some affirmation that yes, we are doing ok and are on the right track. And a little light-heartedness can go a long way! I have really appreciated the help from everyone this past week. Life can be a beautiful love story.

Posted by carl1236 at November 30, 2005 4:06 PM | Attitude

This is either going to sound harsh or brief and I mean it to be the latter:

Tell that little phrase there to the next person you talk to that committed suicide.

Peace!

Posted by: nathan at December 7, 2005 4:46 PM

Yeah, you are right Nathan, sometimes we don't believe we can handle it, we can become consumed by our own darkness and think we cannot handle what is coming at us. but there is always a way. A phrase like this is meant to bolster our courage and remind us of a truth, that we are stronger than we think we are. But it's difficult to believe this if we constantly tell ourselves we cannot make it. When someone commits suicide there is a deep, deep regret over having done it. They immediately feel like they had other options and that this was a waste.
There should be hope in life. There is always hope as long as we believe there is an alternative. God will not give you more than you can handle.

Posted by: John at December 7, 2005 11:25 PM