? Resolving problems | Main | Wow, I'm tired ?

Giving up the boat

Well, tonight I knew there was a reason I hung out at Spokes Pizza longer than usual. After conducting business, one person in the group mentioned he was learning to build/restore a sailboat. I have a 1967 (I believe) Johnson X-Class racing scow sitting in my driveway waiting to be restored. I gave it to him if him and his friend want to take on the project. He was excited and had sailed an X boat before. They are pretty fast boats and fun to sail. Good for sailing on our lakes. It's a wooden sailboat that was made right here on White Bear Lake by Johnson Boat Works. Honestly, I really want to restore that boat and have put it on hold so many times and now I'm deeply involved in running a bike shop so have no time to restore this boat. So I'd rather see it go to someone who can appreciate it and will restore it. I made him promise if he doesn't restore it and sail it he has to give it back to me. It's up on a cradle and covered with tarps so it's not hurting it by me waiting to have more time. But I'm also excited if he takes it because then I won't feel bad that it's just sitting there waiting. If you know what I mean.
Isn't life full of priorities. It's one of the toughest tests or challenges that we have in life. And choices (or prioritizing our activities) are rarely clear. There is a lot of grey area in our priorities, and much of it is not so important as life and death, and prioritizing our activities becomes a matter of what we feel is the best use of our time now. Right now I feel like I won't get to the boat for at least 2 years. The bike shop and artwork and family is more important to me right now. So, I'm giving up the boat. And I'm happy about it. Is giving up the boat like giving up the ghost? No, I think it's more like giving someone who has the spirit to tackle a huge project like this the opportunity to do so.
Now I'm back to my original plan to build my own friendship sloop from a set of plans I bought in 1981, which I've carried with me all these years. It will be a fun project someday. When I'm making that a higher priority. So far I haven't though. It's ok, my boat will come out eventually. I like working with wood and sailing, so maybe down the road as I have more time I'll set myself up in a boat shop and go to it. Hmmm. bikes 'n' Boat'. Has kind of a ring to it. Maybe I need to build a pedal powered boat. haha.

Posted by carl1236 at January 5, 2006 11:57 PM | Boats

I was Googling to find specs on restoring an X-boat and came across this blog. Interesting. Read some of the paragraphs here. Talking to God.
Restoring a 1954 x-boat. Both interests of mine.
Specifically, I need a wooden mast and rigging. I've competed hull, deck and cockpit. Looks great, but looking for help on rigging.

Lanny

Posted by: Lanny at January 21, 2006 2:51 PM

I've seen these boats around and one guy I talked to even had some instructional videos on the rigging of these X-boats. They were very popular boats and the modern rigging I think is very much the same as the old stuff, just use more modern materials. Start searching for these online and you will probably find other owners and maybe check the racing clubs that have that have the X-boat class.
Good luck on your project! It's a fast, fun boat!

Posted by: John at January 26, 2006 1:19 AM