? Accepting and being kind to ourselves | Main | Tread Lightly ?

Hiawatha Cyclery

Today I visited Jim at his new bike shop. So far so good Jim! I like what I'm seeing so far. And I'm looking forward to trying the new iFlash light system for my commuter bike. Batteries are a pain. Generators on the wheel are a pain. Bulbs burning out are a pain. I have high hopes for this system of LED lights with magnetic pickups on the wheels. To me this type of system makes better sense than what I currently have and is exactly what I've been looking for. Jim is selling these lights and I plan on installing mine tomorrow. Then tomorrow night on my ride home, I'll see how well they'll work for me. I'll make sure to write something up about them soon.
I am a bicycle commuter and use the bike as my primary mode of transportation. There are a lot of things I'd like to have but you know, I can ride a bike pulled from a dumpster with no lights and all bent out of shape. Riding a bike for transportation is mostly attitude. Equipment comes out of necessity then, based on what will make our ride smoother and easier. But the main thing is getting out there and doing it.
I like Jim a lot and I support locally owned small businesses. There is plenty of room for more businesses like Jim's and it will only improve our cycling community and atmosphere in the Twin Cities. In a couple months I'll blog more about Hiawatha Cyclery and other shops in the Twin Cities. Yes, they are out to make money, and it's good to support the local community bike shops who are really interested in the bicycling scene and helping their neighbors to succeed at bicycling.
So, the reason I went there today? To give you something to anticipate....haha. I have the pleasure of painting his window! So next week on Saturday I'll be riding over there on bike, loaded down with my paints and creating a nice sign in the window. Next week I hope to be able to post a picture of my handiwork along with an update of how my new lighting system is working. I've done other window paintings before, and I look forward to doing this one to freshen up my experience.

Keep on Cycling!

Posted by carl1236 at January 15, 2006 11:59 PM | Art | Bicycles

I can't find anything on the lighting system you mentioned. Is there a website for it? I have been doing a lot of research on the LED systems. Light & Motion Vega, DiNotte, Blackburn Design System X6. I just am not sold that the price is worth not having to replace the bulbs when you can get a system a lot less expensive if halogen is ok and some diminished run time. I am intrigued by the no battery idea though.

Posted by: J.Collins at January 18, 2006 10:33 PM

Reelight.

Posted by: nathan at January 19, 2006 12:40 PM

Stupid no links, let's try again...

http://www.reelight.com/

Posted by: nathan at January 19, 2006 12:42 PM

So far I've tried the front light and it surely does blink with no batteries or friction. It is kind of low to the ground, being mounted on the front wheel axel. I'm going to mount the rear light on the frame somewhere. These should really have magnetic pickups and wires to mount the lights up higher on the bike, like bike odometers have. But so far I like it as a supplimental light that blinks every time I'm moving. More light is better I think.

Posted by: John at January 26, 2006 1:29 AM