? Hiawatha Cyclery | Main | Ride Lightly ?

Tread Lightly

You know, in all of life we can choose anything we want to do and have any beliefs we choose. We are changed and influenced by our environment and experiences. And one common thing in life with most people is that aging effects us more profoundly than most other experiences. We are mellowed by age or gain more wisdom, hopefully, and we begin to fall apart physically. Friday was my 43rd birthday and actually I'm in better shape than I was a couple of years ago, but the process of aging is definately taking place. When I cut my hair on Friday, I noticed a distinctive grayness to it. Then I overheard a young woman talking about men, relaying to her friend about how she would never date anyone over 40! It's a simple rule and probably a good one for someone so young. I'm not in the dating scene but you can imagine how I felt for a brief moment that I was viewed as 'Too Old.' As we grow older, we don't really see ourselves as 'too old.' We see ourselves more as we were when we were young men and women, but hopefully wiser and more intelligent.
This post is taking on a different angle than I originally intended by the title, Tread Lightly, but I think I've included a good bit of background on why I think we should 'Tread Lightly.' Treading lightly means to leave as little damage in our wake as possible. In camping terms it would mean to leave our environment better than when we moved in. Treading lightly in life and with other people usually only comes with experience and a certain amount of humbleness and respect. If we don't have that, have we really learned anything in life?

Posted by carl1236 at January 16, 2006 2:43 AM | Life

Today I found your site. I was searching for inspirational paint jobs for the restoration of my single-speed communter given to me by my ex-bike messenger friend. It was black, fading to orange, but I'm going to go with something like this art deco style ride. Have you seen it before?

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/archives/thil0020/carfreelife/hatta1.jpg

As far as treading lightly goes, I've been trying to ride to uni more. Thought it was about time to rest the SUV seeing as I'm working on climate change and all ;) Using a hammock is a good way to tread lightly and to go stealth. Here's a photo of my custom Thai Royal Army hammock with a DIY bug net and tarp.

http://tomandzoe.com/log/?p=266#comments

And, where's the html love?

Posted by: tom at January 16, 2006 5:35 AM

Yes, Jim's bike is very nice looling. My fixed gear project is going to be bright orange with yellow wheels, handlebar tape and seat. And If I go with fenders maybe they will be an offset color like black or maybe chrome to shine it up even more! I have everything except the 700c wheels, which I must build. Ah, if only I made that a higher priority. It's still sitting undone. Maybe I can squeeze it in after the Spring Art Crawl. It will be a beautiful bike I think.
About the hammock, It rocks! ;-) I think that's the way to go. I put a hammock in my back yard for the summer months, but the screen is a great idea since we have so many mosquitos in MN. It would make it much more enjoyable. But, sigh, it doesn't matter because right now it's snowing and my bike ride home was interesting.
Do you ride your bike in the snow also? It's a lot easier than a person would think. I'm having a lot of fun with it.
So Tom, from your blog, it sounds like you had a nice adventure there. Did you make it to the summit of the mountain? And more importantly did you leave your hammock to someone else to enjoy?

Posted by: John at January 16, 2006 11:27 PM

Do I ride in the snow? Not exactly. Right now I'm living in Townsville, Australia, which is at about 19 degrees south. At the moment it's nice and sunny and a balmy 30-ish deg. C. I haven't been to the summit of Mt Elliot yet, it's on the agenda. There's no hiking tracks anywhere near there, so it's every man for himself. As for leaving the hammock behind, that would be like leaving your red 3-speed! Today I sprayed up my frame. I think it looks quite nice, am now v. impatient to get it back together and on the road.

http://tomandzoe.com/photos/library/general/frame1.JPG
http://tomandzoe.com/photos/library/general/frame2.JPG

Posted by: tom at January 17, 2006 2:20 AM