? Spokes' Demise | Main | The End of Spokes Pizza, R.I.P. ?

Burger King Drive-Through Refused to Serve me on a bicycle

So tonight I rode my bike to Minneapolis and then later rode back to St. Paul. It was a long ride and I was hungry. I stopped at the Burger King on Grand Avenue close to Smith Avenue, 35 E near downtown St. Paul. Their inner store was closed but the drive-through was open. So I rode through the drive through. I went to their ordering mechanism and no-one came on the loudspeaker to take my order (must be weight sensitive). There were no cars around at that time, so I rode up to the serving window and the kid at the window said he can't serve me. I asked to speak to the Manager and the manager sounded angry and told me to leave, that he could not serve walk-ups. I told him I didn't walk up, I drove up on my bicycle. Then he stammered and said, "well we can only serve motorized vehicles." I said that was discrimination and that my bicycle IS my vehicle. It's a legal street vehicle and my only means of transportation. Then he told me it's too dangerous, that a car will hit me, so he cannot serve me. Then I asked him if he serves motorcycles and he said yes. I asked him if a car would hit a motorcycle. He then told me he'd serve me but made me get off my bike and put it on the other side of the drive, past the bushes and stand over there out of the way of the cars. There were no cars at that time. Then as he was yelling across the drive at me, he asked me what I wanted and I told him. Then a car came and he told me that the car was his priority and he served the person in the car. Then when no-one was there he took my order and then told me this was the last time and that he would not serve me again in the drive through. I told him that that's discrimination and he told me, "no, it's safety. And told me again that the drive through is for motorized vehicles only. So there it is. In my view I cannot see how a bicycle is any more dangerous in a drive through than a motorcycle. Also, it was very clear to me he did not see a bicycle as a vehicle, but saw me as a pedestrian. This is the way our society sees bicycles now. There was a time however when the bicycle was a major form of transportation, a technological innovation and used extensively in everyday commerce. Road were built for bycles. Now days, a drive through discriminates against a person on a bicycle because it's not a car or truck. I've eaten at that Burger King before but now I've lost my appetite. Here's a news flash, "Burger King discrimates against the bicycle." and "Burger King thinks a person on a bicycle is a pedestrian." and "Burger King says that because a bicycle does not have a motor (ie. motorbike) it's not a legitimate vehicle for a drivethrough."
Oh well, It's not worth it to me to fight to change this, I just won't go to Burger King anymore. I have too many other options that are more appealing.

Posted by carl1236 at February 25, 2006 10:56 PM | Bicycles

There was a big discussion on this issue back when I used to read bike forums, and they came to the same conclusion as you. The best way to protest these policies is by taking our business somewhere else.

Posted by: Sui Generis at February 27, 2006 7:36 AM

I've ridden up to the window at the Burger King at Stinson and Highway 35W and been served before. They're very nice. I'm not sure I'd say it's a Burger King thing. Sounds you got a manager on a power trip.
tito

Posted by: Tito at March 2, 2006 9:37 AM

Had the same experience at McDonald's yesterday. I wrote the corporate headquarters and can't wait to hear the line they give me. They have likely lost a customer and I love junk food.

Posted by: Jim at March 27, 2006 7:37 PM

Their Insurance does not cover non motorized vehicles in a drive thru -- if the eatery is private owned it's managements call.

Posted by: BikeNinja at April 2, 2006 2:27 PM

It figures. Maybe I have no right to claim I'm on a real vehicle since it has no motor. I wonder if I had a small gas-powered motor on my bicycle if they would insure the store? Or is it a problem only if the vehicle is uninsured?
In any case, they won't even realize that their insurance problem cost them a customer. And since I've given up Burger King I think I'll be healthier. Their expense, my gain.
Another thing I've noticed is my own awareness of just how car-culture oriented our society really is. Drive-through's were designed for the car culture. People eat while driving in their cars too. I don't eat on my bike though. I carry it home like take-out. So maybe I don't deserve to take part in the car culture on my bike.
I guess a real-time solution would be to convince a local restuarant to create a safe, specifically designed bike-up window, no-motorized vehicles allowed, maybe with an overhang so if it's raining out a person could make a transaction.
In the situation I encountered the BK closes it's interior restuarant earlier than I bike by there, but keeps their drive-through open much later. So I thought It would be simple to just ride through and pick up a late dinner. I guess I'm already forgetting that my and my bike don't fit in too well with the car culture. The more I ride in traffic the more I get used to it and don't think it's as big of a deal as when I first started. I suppose if a car hits me while riding in the streets, their insurance company won't want to pay any damages either. If I hit a car on a bicycle I'm still liable for damages to that car. But a car can do so much more damage, especially to the bike rider. Oh well, it's too big of an issue to solve alone. It's good to have discussions about this.

Posted by: John at April 2, 2006 9:46 PM

Seriously get a grip. These companies can't win, can they? Either they get sued by a careless idiot who gets run over or they get flamed by a obnoxious bicycle bashers on the internet.

The simple fact of the matter is that the drive-thru is designed for cars,

not scooters
not rollerblades
not skateboards
not bicycles
not even damn motorcycles
but for CARS

Sure, they still serve motorcycles but this is because they are covered by insurance and if an accident was to take place they would be covered.

If you want you and your bicycle to have its glory maybe you should argue against insurance companies or maybe you should start a cycle-thru resturant. Oh I see it now, the HUGE target market.

Nice work with the manager too I wonder why he wasn't particularly friendly, I wouldn't be either if some guy came through on a bike and started to rave on about discrimination as if he was refusing to serve a black person. Seriously, people like you are the type of people who sue a city council because a branch falls on their head at the park.

Oh and yes, I believe the car was the right priorty too, because he/she was DOING THE RIGHT THING and was probably not acting like an ass.

I'm sure you will be dearly missed by the Burger King chain.

Getting sued for thousands and not being covered by insurance, or losing a few dollars from consumers who just simply refuse to accept a horrible policy specificly out there to destroy the souls of cyclists? I know which I'd prefer.

Heres a news flash: "Burger King trys to do the right thing and gets flamed by some guy with a bike and keyboard anyway!"

Posted by: Spank at April 24, 2006 10:09 AM

Seriously you get a grip. You are obviously still engrained in the car culture to the point you can't see the problems associated with using a bicycle as your main means of transportation. Try it sometime, every day. Sell your car. ride your bike in the winter, even when it snows. Then come back on here and tell me I'm an ass. You obviously have no clue and are just flaming me because of it.

I understand it may be an insurance issue for the Burger King store, but that doesn't make it right. I'm not suing anyone and never have, so it's not fair for you to make those kinds of assumptions about me either. Attitudes like yours are truly at the root of our car culture. Instead of being more inclusive, you make excuses and riducule the bicyclist who want's to get food late at night. It's a shame.

You are right though, Burger King will never miss me. As I said they won't even know that I was there or that I had a problem getting some food. It's their business and they can conduct it the way they want. I'll still be eating elsewhere because I choose to. It's not my loss, but it's theirs. That's good business on their part right? There are too many food options out there for me to worry about it. I found a great little Italian place a few blocks from that BK that's open all night. So, they get my business. They don't have a drive through, but at least their restaurant is open, where the BK inside restuarant was not. That's their choice also as a business. Maybe it's a good business practice for them, but it's still their loss, not mine. Does it make a difference to the multi-million dollar company like BK? Probably not, but it's still not my loss, it's theirs. I just ride by on my bike and don't stop there anymore. And because their manager gave me a hard time, I don't feel like going inside either. Is that good business? I wouldn't think so. Frankly, it's not that big of a deal to me, but the issues with drive-throughs does point to how car-oriented our society has become. Drive throughs are designed for the car culture. We as a society are stuck in that culture I think. Now is a good time to rethink how we are doing things.

Thanks for your comments.

Posted by: John at April 24, 2006 9:19 PM

I don't own nor drive car, i catch the bus. cheaper and greener

Posted by: Spank at April 25, 2006 9:47 AM

(obviously not as green as a bike)

Posted by: Spank at April 25, 2006 9:48 AM

Yeah, buses are good too, certainly better than single drivers in SUV's. I sat at a coffee shop at a busy intersection one day and counted cars with single drivers. For the brief time I was observing, there were 52 single-person vehicles and 2 double-person vehicles and one with 3 people. That is a lot of mass and energy to move so few bodies. Anyway, my post today is about a totally different phenomenon that happens to bike riders, and pedestrians who walk and ride buses. It's about how we meet people and experience things we never would have experienced had we been driving in a car, which can be kind of insulating toward other people, haha, especially if we drive alone, with the windows up and air conditioning on.

Posted by: John at April 25, 2006 10:01 PM

the burger king staff didn't sound very respectful. anyway the whole drive-thru idea is unhealthy. they should close the drive thru and open the sit-down part.

Posted by: ian at May 25, 2006 11:31 PM

Aloha -- I just wanted to note that I had the same experience at a Burger King in Honolulu yesterday. I was on my way to work on my bicycle and rode through the drive-thru, which I have done several times in the past few months at that very same restaurant. In the past, I'd always gotten friendly, courteous service from the drive-thru attendants with the ladies even offering me one of the plastic salad bags instead of the usual paper bag fare to make it easier to carry my food on my handlebars, but yesterday an assistant manager told me that bicycles and pedestrians weren't allowed to use the drive-thru.

He told me I'd have to come in and order in the future, for the sake of my safety.

"Would you mind doing that?" he asked.

"Yes," I said, "because I can't risk leaving my bike outside the restaurant and getting it stolen."

Anyway, he served me even as he continued to lecture me about Burger King's desire to "look out for my safety" and was so focused on how much BK cared about my safety that he failed to offer me ketchup and forgot to give me a straw. I asked for his supervisor's name, because I wanted to file a complaint (about the no cyclists policy, not the missing ketchup and straw, which I only discovered when I got to work). He gave me an 800-number for a regional office but said with a smirk that he doubted that they'd change their policy. "Please understand that it's for your safety," he reiterated.

I was actually web surfing in hopes of finding out what kind of policies fast-food restaurants have nationwide toward bicyclists using their drive-thrus when I came across this blog.
I suppose it's not that big a deal and that I probably shouldn't be eating Burger King whopper juniors with cheese and fries anyway, but I find the whole emphasis on "safety" amusing. Just how is riding a clean-and-green vehicle through a drive-thru more hazardous than driving an emissions-sputtering, greenhouse-gas releasing vehicle? And isn't it ironic that those of us who do cycle (or walk) as our sole means of transportation -- and conceivably are a bit healthier than the couch potatoes who drive everywhere -- would be denied service for inherently unhealthy (potentially unsafe) food when we, because of our working out, might be able to afford the calories more?

At any rate, I won't be visiting that BK again ... and probably no others elsewhere, since it seems that the policy is widespread.

Posted by: himanee at June 24, 2006 11:26 PM

Personally I haven't had Berger King since. And I won't. It's an unhealthy habit anyway and their corporate policy toward bicyclists is unappetizing. I'm sure it's the lawyers talking or something, worried about the bad motorized vehicle drivers hitting someone and hurting them, causing a lawsuit. I'm just one former customer who doesn't need BK anymore. I'm actually thankful for their manager for turning me off.
Anyway, thanks for the comments, it's interesting to read that this happens to others too.
As a side note, I discovered a Dairy Queen by my house that has a great bike-up/walkup window. And there are always crowds of people hanging out there getting refreshments.

Posted by: John at June 25, 2006 9:45 PM

I had a similar problem at Mcdonalds, but I was on an electric bicycle (tidalforce) one of the finest motorized bicycles I have ever been on. They yelled at me telling me that I need to be in a motorized vehicle to go through the drive through. and I explained that I was in a motorized vehicle, they didnt believe me, then they decided that I needed to be in a real motorized vehicle. I offered to bring my bicycle into the store (I am not leaving it outside) but they didnt seem too impressed with the idea of me bringing the bike inside the store so we were at a stalemate.

Posted by: kelly at June 30, 2006 5:37 PM

we have a few places in my town that allow people to ride up on bikes to order (mostly independent QSR's and ice cream places), but the larger fast food chains usually don't.

i see your point about how you were upset about not being able to get food, but i can also see their point about the safety issue. while it is a shame, i suppose it is ultimately up to the restaurant manager or owner at the BK restaurant to make the call, since they are responsible for the property and what happens on it.

Posted by: TJ at July 8, 2006 10:21 PM

yes, I think you are right. In retrospect I can remember that managers appearance while I was talking to him. He did seem nervous and afraid. It could be he didn't like confronting me about the drivethrough policy or it could have been a fear of some kind of lawsuit over an accident in his drivethrough. In any case I'm not angry about it. It's just one of those things. I think things are changing here slowly. I am seeing more and more people on bikes and we have a lot of people working to make our streets and public transportation more bicycle friendly.
Well, I'm riding a lot more and I'm finding it better and better for me. I'm eating better now also, so that's good.

Posted by: John at July 9, 2006 9:57 PM

Dude, its 2006...get a fucking car already. Forget bikes...bikes are all fine to ride around the neighborhood...but to use as your main means of transportation? You must be a lonely man...reminds me of the 40 year old virgin. xD

Posted by: Guy at July 12, 2006 1:15 AM

Lonely? Haha. Who can be lonely when we have friendly people like you in the world?
I'm finding that bikes are a much more social vehicle than cars. In my experience People actually talk to each other out in the streets while riding bikes and it doesn't involve the middle finger or road rage. And I'm in way better shape now than when I was driving my car everywhere. It's 2006 man! Get with it and get out of your car!

Posted by: John at July 13, 2006 10:19 PM

I came across this page from a Wikipedia article. I live in the UK (yes we too have fast food and indeed Drive Thrus) and I am a keen cyclist. As far as I can tell, the 'no bikes for your own safety' policy is pretty much universal. There's a laminated notice inside the kiosk telling employees not to serve cyclists. However, if I'm lucky, I'll get pleasant ginger guy who will serve me anyway. I think it's pretty much down to which person you end up dealing with when you get to the kiosk.

I agree though, it's a stupid policy. Cyclists tend to be far more visible (with reflective paraphernalia) than motorcyclists (in black leather) and the insurance issue could be very easily cleared up with the proper policy amendments. In countries like the UK, where fuel is expensive and the roads are so crowded that commutes are quicker on a bike, the fast food chains are missing out on a valuable market by implementing policies that discriminate against cyclists.

Posted by: O'Neill at July 16, 2006 6:32 AM

HOw funny is that? I just got rejected by McDonalod's drive through in Scarborough Toronto.
from the speaker phone of drive through "Sorry, we can not serve you, because you're no in a car."

Posted by: Nick at July 17, 2006 12:36 AM

I am not surprised. The Corporation dictates from the top down. The top doesn't understand because they would probably never think of trying to get food on a bicycle because they probably don't use it for transportation. (I'm making some assumptions, but I'd like to see these fast-food restaurant executives try it and get rejected) Haha, they probably don't even eat the restaurants they run.

Posted by: John at July 17, 2006 10:21 PM

I never noticed this at McDonald's or BK, but at Wendy's it states "Due to safety concerns, we will not serve pedestrians, including bikes". Although bikes are better for the environment and your health, autos (and sometimes motorcycles) are the most realistic option right now. Where it takes a bicyclist an hour to get somewhere, you could probably drive there in 15 minutes or even less.

Posted by: Deuce at July 21, 2006 2:19 PM

i lived in Minnesota most of my life, and in Minneapolis for a few years. while not the most bike UNfriendly city ever, it could still stand substantial improvement.

i live in Seattle now, which is pretty decent for bike transit. some of the hills here are pretty extreme, and not all the roads are in good shape, material, but it's definitely do-able getting around. some of the surrounding suburbs are really great for riding - it's super easy to get around the Bellevue/Redmond area (Redmond proclaims itself as the 'bicycling capitol of the northwest).

if you want to live the dream, tho... check out a city that really accomodates bicyclists, like Vancouver BC or Portland OR... Vancouver are installing new 'bikeways' around the city:

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/engsvcs/transport/traffic/bikes.htm

Posted by: Dusty at July 23, 2006 4:36 AM

Lol at The McDonald's I work at we serve even pedestrians in the drive-through, and on weekends the lobby is opened 24/7 for safety.

Posted by: Fred Liu at August 7, 2006 11:06 PM

I few hours ago after making love to my wife I was craving a chocolate shake. Mmm. So I slapped on the night hawk and discovered baskin robins was already closed up for the evening. But further down the road I spotted the "Open late" sign at Burger king. Mmm. Good Shakes there!
Now I know about the drive-thru policy but i also know if you raise enough hell you can pretty much get your way. So when the clerk refused I politly asked why not and of course it's because I'm on a bike so I threatened to call the cops for refusing me business. I also pointed out that the only sign with any rules concerning the drive thru states just that no vehical over the set height was allowed through. NOTHING about bicycles! Well I got my shake but what is with this country? When I was a kid in my hometown before there was ever a McDonalds there. dinners and drive-ins had windows on the side just for pedestrians and for anyone else who didn't use a car to get there.
But goddamnit! Everthing is geared for the F--cking car! Everthing from the way new nieghborhoods are built to the design and layout of shopping centers. Its like were being set up for a terrible fall when that faithful day comes along when..."Oh no! Our cars are useless. What are we to do now?" And it will happan sooner or later.
Signed: Just another pissed off cyclist.

Posted by: Dan at August 22, 2006 2:05 AM

I completely sypathize and agree with "Spank" as the same type of incident happened to myself this evening. This is the comment I posted on my3cents.com (a website designed to help consumer feedback get to the companies intended).

The late hour drive through is quite unfair to anyone at a late hour who is not either driving a car or motor-cycle.
I was riding a bicycle late at night for exercise and decided to stop by a Wendy's to get food.
I was promptly answered at the drive through and then told that I couldn't be served on a bicylcle. I then proceeded to have someone else (in a car) order my food in the drive though. I then paid the person for my food. After I had consumed my food in the parking lot, I talked to the manager on duty, Elizabeth. She said the reason that people on bicycles were not served was because of safety reasons. This did not make sense to me at all. Elizabeth told me that the cashiers were in harm's way of serving bicyclists for the reason that a bicyclist could reach through a window at the cashier. Obviously, a motorcyclist could do exactly the same thing she described. As she put it, "I am only following corporate policy." I respect her for following the rules of her job, but the reasons and policy she explained would only provide a way for the company to "Avoid" business. All companies should want to attract business and not deter it. After Elizabeth had explained the policy, she told me that multiple occurences happen in the week that the business has to reject bicyclists. I see this as an opportunity at many locations for Wendy's to recieve more business.
So I now sit here writing a complaint, and still I find no plausible reason for a drive through to not also accept business from bicyclists. I would greatly appreciate a response from the company, however unlikely, and recieve some sort of agreement that is in concurrence with my views.
Sincerely, Brent Konieczny

Posted by: Brent at August 29, 2006 3:36 AM

I ordered a $21 meal at Burger King tonight. When we drove the 3 miles home, we realized none of our son's food was in the bag. When I went back, I asked for a coupon to compesate me for my time and their mistake. They told me that it's against their policy to give coupons because it would be a financial loss to Burger King to give away a free meal. I wonder how the Burger King Franchise Corporation would feel to know that the store manager would rather lose a $20 order than give out a coupon for a free $3.60 meal.

Posted by: Andrea Wallin at September 2, 2006 10:00 PM

Yeah, but, it's a DRIVE-THRU. You dont drive a bike. Also, It must be a shit-load of money to get sued for going against safety precautions if you can sue Burger King for $10,000 for merely seeing an employee drinking a beverage at the front counter.

Also, I would like to state that doing things to help stop pollution is not going to work anymore, we've ruined the ozone layer and it doesnt rebuild itself, and burning less fossil fuels will not help. JUST DRIVE A CAR. if you complain because you cant afford gas, GET A REAL JOB. If you're ranting about how corporate dicks are jerks, BE REAL. It's a way to get money and it works. If you're saying, money cant buy happiness, well it might not buy happiness, but it can sure as hell help. Get a real job, dont complain about it because you're lazy and bored. And besides, fast-food it a scam anyway because they super-process their food so it fills you up, and makes you want more in another 30 minutes. Why would you go to Burger King knowing that their was a little italian resturant open around the corner. Why not go for some real food?

P.S. I'm 16 years old and I already know how life works. You're born, you live off your parents, you WORK to make a living, you hit retirement, you die. S.S.D.D.

Posted by: DJ at September 2, 2006 11:35 PM

To Andrea Wallin:
Either you are making that up, or, that resturant was just breaking the rules. I work at BK and we have something called a GUEST RECOVERY, which most, if not all resturants have which lets you aquire a free meal if they screw up.

Posted by: DJ at September 2, 2006 11:40 PM

Fun to read all the above. I surfed for no serve cyclist mcdrive and found this blog. Today I tried to order some drinks and food at a mcdonalds in the UK and was told the same, we only serve motorized vehicles. I didn't argue I just left. I know arguing with people who work for multinationals usually leaves you exasperated as you can't win, they cannot deviate from the script. I will however complain to UK headoffice, just to make the point. The reason I wanted to order drive through was that I had 2 kids in my bike trailer, fast asleep and I did not want to wake them up just to go in the restaurant. I will also write to my local paper, maybe they'll think it's a funny story. I do think it is silly not to serve cyclists, the safety reason doesn't cut it with me, everyone is going very slowly, I cycle on roads with cars, that is much more dangerous.

Posted by: Aukje at September 3, 2006 12:33 PM

but the city cannot be sued if you get hurt on the street, where as if you get hurt in a drive through, the resturant is liable because their insurance doesnt cover bicyclists

Posted by: DJ at September 4, 2006 9:47 AM

To Fred Liu: Next time any business refuses you service, I encourage you to call the police. Not only will you be laughed at by the responding officers and look like a total moron, you could be in some trouble for harrassing the employees and refusing to leave the property. A private business has the RIGHT to refuse service to ANY PERSON, especially if they are disrupting the normal operations of that business. An NO, it is not required for a business to post a sign saying that... it is understood because it is the LAW. Asshole.

Posted by: Ian Derby at September 7, 2006 9:13 PM

IT IS CLEAR TO ME THAT YOU WILL FIND NUTS IN ALL TYPES OF BUSNESSES THEY ARE IN THE FOOD BUSINESS NOT LAW INFORCEMENT. TO EACH HIS OWN. LET EACH PERSON DO HIS OWM JOB. IT SHOULD COST THEM DEARLY FOR NOT SERVING HIM AND HE SHOULD HAVE IT DOUBLED FOR MAKING HIM WAIT ON THE CAR WHO ARRIVED LATTER THE HIM.

Posted by: HERB DEAN at September 9, 2006 7:18 PM

Thanks for posting this. I recently had a similar experience at a McDonald's location that I had been biking through for months. Good to know it wasn't just me, and it confirmed my suspicion that liability was behind it.

Yours was one of the first pages in Google for "bicycle McDonald's drive" and the wikipedia entry points here as well.

Posted by: E I at September 21, 2006 4:21 AM

My brother-in-law is blind, so he can't drive a car. One night he was walking home with his wife. They were hungry so they walked up to the drive through window at Wendy's to order some food since the inside part of the restaurant was closed. He was refused service, and was told that pedestrians could not be served from the drive through window. So because he's blind and can't drive a car, he can't get a late night meal like anybody else? That's discrimination plain and simple. If fast food restaurants choose to stay open to the public late at night, they should be made to serve everyone in the public- disabled or not. They need a walk-up window.

Posted by: linda at September 27, 2006 4:39 PM

I think that you should come to the fast food on time before the dining room is closed. Because I don't think it's a good idea for pedestrians and bicycles to go through the drive-through due to the safety and the insurance liability. Usually the dining room closes from 10pm to Midnight. If you appear to the fast food when the dining room is closed and if drive-through is open or closed then forget it. I also know that to order food at the drive-through you should come over there as a car. I love to go on the drive-through at fast food but I have to come as a car. If you are late to come for dine-in then that's too bad. You should come for the dine-in instead of drive-through in order to have them let you get your order of food. I don't think the fast food restaurant really needs a walk-up window because it's just easier to order food as of dine-in but if you come late after the dine-in section is closed then forget it.

Posted by: Ted Park at October 26, 2006 8:27 PM

Hi Ted, thanks for your comments. But does it make a difference to a person's activity schedule whether they are on a bike or in a car. If a person goes later to a fast-food place while in a car, why wouldn't a bicyclist also go later if their schedule was the same? In my case going earlier wasn't an option.
Many people have the idea that a bicycle can't be taken seriously as real transportation. But you look at cities like Muenster, Germany and wonder how thick-headed we really are in our car-cultured United States!

Posted by: John at November 9, 2006 12:02 AM

I work at a Mcdonalds store in westert Australia, I can understand why McDonalds and Burger King and fast food restaurants in general, refuse to serve predestrians. But refusing to serve a bike i cannot undertand. the way you and many others have been treated is rude and i can understand why many people do not come back prior to me working at my store i used to complain to head officebut as i needed a job i turned to fast food restraunts. After joining the crew i realised how much pressure that they put on their 14 year old 15 year old crew and the managment that have only just come out of school and have had no life experiences. They dont really think about there customers that much, just as long as they are making money they would rather lose your orders than be sued by you. A bike is transportation as i ride 4 km every day to school, im not old enough to drive a car, so i have a choice of a bus or a bike. I have been declined service in drive thru before and won my case with the head office now the Mcdonalds i work at dont not serve people on foot but we do serve bikes

Posted by: Lozz at November 12, 2006 4:06 AM

Hmmm. interesting. Thank you for the comments. And I hope you keep biking even after you get your driver's license.

Posted by: John at November 14, 2006 7:21 PM

You know i'm only a young guy and I was honestly just wanting to find out what time BK opened because it's always closed when I drive to it in the morning for a quick snack.

But I came across a something like every one here is talking about.

You see I'm a MMA fighter and I often have fights and have to cut weight. I was working out late one night and figured hey what the hell let me run to Mikey D's and grab a salad. It's a healthy meal and I could use the run.

It was a good 2 miles away and when I got there the dine in part was closed so I figured I would just go to the drive threw.

When I got there the person working the window told me they cant take my order because i'm not in a car. I asked them if they would open the doors so I could order in there but they refused. I asked to speak with a manager and when he came to the window I asked why he wouldnt serve me.

He replyed with "You don't have a car so I cannot serve you for your safty"

So I told him that pretty much staying open late was for people with cars and trucks..no one else.

Anywho I got so upset that I ran to IHOP which is open 24/7 and got myself a nice grilled chicken salad there.

I will probley forget the link to this blog so if anyone has anynew posts or anything new to say about this feel free to email me or message me on myspace.

www.myspace.com/hataproof2010

roccoruzzo@hotmail.com

Thanks for reading.

-Rocco-

Posted by: Roccoruzzo at January 14, 2008 5:45 AM

I just had this same thing happen at a burger king in Bremerton, WA.

What's funny is the cops hassle riders for riding on the sidewalk, we're considered by law to be vehicles that share the road with cars.

Posted by: Lasivian at February 1, 2008 12:09 AM

I have also been putting up with small-minded companies and employees for years.

I, too, choose to use a bicycle as my sole form of transportation. I use a cargo trailer when I want to go shopping, or have other things to haul that I can't fit into a backpack.

I had been a customer of Seafirst (now Bank of America) for years, and had had no problems going thru the driveup tellers before. Then one day I was informed they couldn't help me because I was on a bicycle, I'd have to go through the lobby. I proceeded to calmly talk to the bank manager, and never had a problem with the tellers after that.

The fastfood companies are totally different animal. The fact that they serve motorcyclists at the drive-thru, but refuse to serve bicyclists has NO logic to it.

I went to our local Taco Bell last night and a girl took my order (I had just done a lot of shopping and did not want to cook when I got home, so I made a large order to feed four people). The signs at the drive-thru only stated that they do not serve WALK-UPS, nothing about bicyclists. When I pulled up to the window I was informed by a pimply-faced teenaged male that they could not serve me because I was not in a motorized vehicle. I pointed out what the signs state, but he refused to serve me. I said, "Whatever." and rode off.

I've also been refused service at the drive-thru of Burger King during the DAYTIME, and at Jack-In-The-Box at night at other times. Just because I'm on a bicycle doesn't mean I don't want to get my food and go, and not have to sit down inside a restaurant.

Posted by: Brenda H├ębert at February 5, 2008 10:22 AM

YES! drive-thru's were designed for our car-obsessed society. But corporations are shortsighted and narrow minded and don't deserve our business if they stick to this design.
Maybe they should all be driven to add a bike-only lane to their drive-thru's. What is the expense of that vs. changing their policy? Maybe they could add a caution sign or something to warn car drivers to share the space with bicycles? And how much would it ultimately cost them because of their insurance-driven policies?
And besides all of this, there is the issue of whether once our world is designed for cars, can we ever go back to less bulky forms of personal transportation, like bicycles or even walking? I notice a huge network of crumbling sidewalks that have to be maintained that practically nobody uses because the vast majority of people no longer walk places. in fact sidewalks are created in many places just as an afterthought and because they are required. Some of them I've tried to walk are not really practical and frought with danger from car traffic merging.
so where does this leave us?
I'm still not going to use places that refuse to serve me on a bicycle. It may not mean anything to multi-billion dollar corporations, who could really care less about a few bicyclists in an auto-driven world, but I'll feel better going somewhere that welcomes me and adjusts to meet the needs of their customers.

Posted by: John at March 2, 2008 11:23 PM