? New lights | Main | The experience of giving a haircut for free. ?

Who does God belong to?

If people really knew God, they would not have to think about this, let alone argue about it. To make a point I'm going to quote a quote out of a recent news article, so don't quote me on this...
"Such reactions don't surprise Israeli Historian Gershom Gorenberg, whose book "The End of Days" documents the fight over the holy site.
"Dig a centimeter beneath the debate over antiquities," he said, "and you hit the debate over whom the Mount belongs to, and a centimeter beneath that is the war over whom the entire country belongs to.""
Their argument is too old and to heated to resolve by me, but this quote kind of reminded me of something...People don't and never will 'own' God. But they sure love to try. Everyone loves to claim they 'have' the one and only God, or at least have the inside track or path to GOD. But eventually we all realize that we can never posess God. I mean that God is not an object to own, sell or barter with. God is not a weapon or a tool to convert or subvert others to fulfill our needs or desires. Like our driving need for POWER and CONTROL over others.
Dig a centimeter beneath the debate over the real God and you hit the debate over who God belongs to. And a centimeter beneath that is the war over who life belongs to.

Posted by carl1236 at November 17, 2006 10:52 PM | Knowing God