? Driven to Learn and understand | Main | Do not be afraid to be a leader ?

Play Go?

I first discovered the game of GO in January of this year. So almost a year later I finally bought a portable game board with pieces. It's a fun game that takes a while to play. It's interesting because like many games it's a good way to practice focus and forward thinking.
Anyone want to come over for some Korean food and a game of Go? Or how about the card game Hwa-tu (hanafuda)? I would love to find people to play that with also.

Speaking of games, I am creating a Korean Language word card game to teach me Hanja and Korean vocabulary together. The basic premise is that cards can be combined with other cards to form words. Cards in the deck have point values and also words of different lengths have point values which multiply the players score. There is a game that can be played with a partner and also a solitaire version.

Posted by carl1236 at December 8, 2006 11:47 PM | Games

I got here looking for something to help me learn hanja. I have been told that the book "Learn Hanja the Fun Way" is a good one, but it seems not to be available right now. I am in Seoul, beginning to study Korean language at Sogang University.

Posted by: Paul Rauh at December 16, 2006 8:23 AM

Hi Paul,
Good luck on your studies! I wish I was there with you, it sounds like fun! The only book I have to go on is "A guide to Korean Characters, reading and writing Hangul and Hanja," second revised edition by Bruce K. Grant - A mini dictionary of characters for modern readers. It includes All 1800 Chinese characters taught in Korean schools.
I would be interested in finding other sources though. If you find something let me know, and I'll watch for that book at the used bookstores.

Posted by: John at December 16, 2006 10:45 AM