? Creativity | Main | Flash Fiction Number 13 - Malicioius Intentions ?

Peruvian Carved Gourd inspired Ukrainian Easter Eggs!

Here is the photo I promised. I'm working on the third egg now, based on other Peruvian carved gourds. Like in the Ukraine with eggs, gourd carving and staining in Peru is an ancient tradition dating back thousands of years. The gourd colors are pretty much all the same, with some red thrown in. I thought the patterns and colors were very fitting for Pysanki using the wax-resist dye method.
.
Peruvian_Eggs1.JPG
.
Gourds are also a pod carrying seeds, much like an egg, representing birth and life. The patterns in these eggs are like the patterns on a sea turtle's back, also found on other gourds. Many of the Peruvian gourds are carved, burned and stained with detailed stories. Abstracted geometric patterns like these are more recent, but still use the same technique and colors. Of course the same gourds and techniques that have been used for centuries are still being used today

Posted by carl1236 at March 11, 2007 7:48 PM | Art

Those are really cool gourds. Were they hard to make? I found a great place to buy clean, dried gourds. http://www.AmishGourds.com

Posted by: Gourdy at March 13, 2007 7:59 AM

Peruvian Gourds seem to be a lot like your Pyrography Gourd by Jenn Avery and the Guiro Gourd - Jenn Avery Collection.
I did not make the gourd, I bought it from a company that sells hand-made Peruvian gourds. The eggs are mine though, inspired by the peruvian gourds. The technique of 'gourd carving' is very cool though, and I could find myself trying it sometime.

Posted by: John at March 14, 2007 9:33 PM