? First Day Success! | Main | NaNoWriMo Day 12 Rants and Raves ?

First four days of NaNoWriMo

Today I hit a wall. After four days of writing almost two thousand words per day I have had enough. And I am seriously wondering how I am going to make it to fifty thousand words. Todays writing took me almost an entire day, off and on, off and on. About five hours of actual writing. My plot has totally changed in the last four days too so I'm having to reconstruct my plot so I have some semblance of a story to follow as I write going forward.
Here is a link to my NaNoWriMo page to track my progress and read exerpts from my novel...

I was going to write more today but I just could not take it. I'm almost on target, and I took some time to shop at the bookstore and have a little outing. Plus, I had to do laundry ;-)
All in all, I'm 14% done with my novel. So far so good. More later.

Posted by carl1236 at November 4, 2007 10:23 PM | Writing

Don't give up! You have to keep typing through the pain. You're got a good head start and this is the reason why... most of us hit a barrier right around this time. I didn't even meet my quota yesterday!

My advice: don't worry about your blog, your plot, or posting excerpts. There's a danger of involving the editing portion of your brain if you attempt these activities, and you need the unrestrained creative parts at the forefront.

Posted by: Sui Generis at November 5, 2007 9:53 AM

Thanks! Also right about now my novel is getting really complex and I was running the risk of getting mired in details. So yesterday I wrote out ideas for each scene until the end. Now I have a goal and direction for writing each day and I could jump around and write portions of each scene if I wanted to.
Now I'm about 1/3 of the way through. It will still be amazing if I make it all the way, mainly because of the time it takes me to write a couple thousand words per day. Who has four hours a day?
Last night I met a guy though who wrote his last ten thousand words on the last day. Maybe that will happen to me too, haha.

Posted by: John at November 11, 2007 7:46 AM