September 2007 | Main | November 2007

NaNoWriMo Begins!

So tonight just after midnight the month of November begins. I have leftover Halloween Candy to fuel my writing frenzy and I'm going crazy waiting for the official start. So now I'll post daily to record my experiences of writing a 50,000 + word story in thirty days.
In their own words...
"Dear NaNoWriMo participant
Well, we're on the cusp of another beautiful noveling November. The turn-out so far has been phenomenal. Between our main program and Young Writers Program, we'll have over 90,000 authors on board by the end of the week, making this officially the largest NaNoWriMo since the event was first adapted from an Andorran mule-wrestling ceremony back in 1999."

Amazing. 90,000 participants? WOW.

Posted by carl1236 at 9:34 PM

NaNoWriMo prep

Last night was the local kickoff party at Nina's for National Novel Writing Month - NaNoWriMo. It was very interesting meeting all those people who are attempting the same goal of writing a 50000+ word novel in just one month.
I was inspired in many ways and got some good organization and writing tips. When I got home though I couldn't sleep for hours just thinking about it. My creative juices were flowing and I am more than ready to get on with this! I am not going to wait for daylight on November 1st to start writing either. I'm starting at Midnight the night before. Call it NaNoWriMo Eve. I won't be able to sleep anyway! Might as well get on with it.
.
I am going to be blogging about the experience here every day now as I go through this experience.

Posted by carl1236 at 8:34 AM

Music Wish List

I'm hoping to purchase these three CD's within the next few months:

Dan Wilson - Free Life
The Clientele - God Save the Clientele
Nicole Scherzinger - Her Name is Nicole

Posted by carl1236 at 8:41 PM

NaNoWriMo idea bouncing

Today I met with a wonderful, crazy NaNoWriMo participant to bounce ideas off of each other for our plots. Now we plan on meeting weekly until the month of November is through and we've made it. In one way that is motivation to not fail at reaching the goal. Being committed to others can be a good motivator. Helping others can be a good motivator. It's a win-win situation.
Today the ideas bounced around and some thoughts came out that I did not think of before. So I captured these ideas after we were done. At least those that I could remember. Some ideas i wrote down right away.
Then I visited the book shop downstairs and found three more books to buy. hehe, I love reading and getting inspired by what I read.
Todays great find: The Colony, The Harrowing True Story of the Exiles of Molokai, by John Tayman. I can't wait to read this gripping history of a forced Leper colony.
So, my ideas spin around in my head and my plot is not yet ready for writing on November 1st. But I'm closer to finding the story I will write. Thanks to my new NaNoWriMo buddy and the bouncing of ideas.
We cannot live or work in isolation.

Posted by carl1236 at 7:21 PM

Plot-in, Write-in and Overnight Progressive Write-ins

So over on the NaNoWriMo MN regional discussion board the excitement is beginning to build and group events are being planned! I attended what's called a plot-in last week at Nina's Cafe. That was pretty fun. Everyone sat around a table discussing their plot ideas and getting more ideas from each other. The purpose of these regional events is to provide a local, face to face support group for the writers involved in NaNoWriMo.
There are many people that don't participate in these groups, some because once November rolls around there is not a lot of free time to be sitting around socializing with other people who should also be writing. lol. But I look at it as part of the experience package. I'm doing the same monumental task as the others in the group. It's very interesting to talk about the struggles and triumphs of other writers. It puts a personal face to the event. This weekend I'm meeting with two other writers to brainstorm plot ideas. And next month during the writing frenzie the group is also planning a all-night traveling, progressive write-in, where a bunch of people travel from one local group to another to write with others, leading to breakfast in the morning.
When it comes to creative activities, groups can be a great source of inspiration. And hopefully it helps everyone achieve the goal of writing a lot of words in a condensed time-frame.

Posted by carl1236 at 6:31 AM

November Approaches Quickly - NaNoWriMo

I'm officially signed up to write 50,000 + words in 30 days!
Beginning November 1st, I'll document the pain, pleasure and insights right here.

Official NaNoWriMo 2007 Participant

Posted by carl1236 at 10:08 PM