July 2008 | Main | September 2008

Do we not all live short lives?

Some people pretend that it goes on forever, until they realize that it's almost over. And that what seemed important is not important in the grand scheme of things. But me? I think this physical life is short for everyone and people make a big deal of too many things that would not be a big deal if they knew they were only going to be alive for a few more weeks or even a year.
The certainty of death in a way has a humbling effect on most people, but not everyone. But maybe some people don't think that death for them is right around the corner. How quickly the changes happen in our bodies.
Now I am going to ask a simple question that has nothing to do with religion or belief in eternal life, because some people will think I'm leading to that. But I'm not. The eternal nature of our souls is not what I'm thinking about. The question is this: If we develop the medical knowledge and technology such as through genetic engineering, to prolong lives and eliminate diseases, what will that do to the attitudes of of people and their humility? Will the great leveler be abolished? Will the world be filled with unstoppable ego-maniacs?

Posted by carl1236 at 9:46 PM

Measuring Time

Let's not measure time
by counting off seconds,
but rather by
measuring change.
Let's count off changes
that have taken place
in our minds and souls.
What a pitty it would be
to live an entire life
without the ability
to measure it.

Posted by carl1236 at 12:48 AM