January 2009 | Main | September 2009

Bike Adventure 2

Hey we are taking this one step at a time. Today I rode my fixie to work. After work I decided to revisit the little book shop I found last weekend. And since I was going to be in the area decided I need to visit my friends Jim and Kevin at Hiawatha Cyclery. Last week when I rode by their shop it was the fourth of July and they were out riding bikes too! They have a great shop in South Minneapolis and if you are looking for a commuting/touring bike, they know their stuff. Another cool thing? They are having a ride from there to the St. Paul Farmers market in the morning at 8am. Bring your paniers and baskets, cause the farmers market is awesome. I never leave that place without some really fresh veggies and cheese. For a change of pace, and to get back into exercise, I'll be going on that ride! Fun huh? I am totally into rides with destinations - much more fun than rides for training, unless, of course you enjoy training. Which I might sometimes.
Here is the link to Hiawatha's information:
http://hiawathacyclery.blogspot.com/2009/07/sidewalk-sale.html

They also have a sidewalk sale going on this weekend - nice bikes!

ride on. or ride again. or ride some more. It does feel good.

Posted by carl1236 at 8:52 PM

Lovin your fixie!

I built a new fixed gear bike on a 1984 Motobecane Super Mirage frame. I built the wheels from Weinman DP18's and Dimension hubs, DT Swiss double butted spokes.
I replaced the bottom bracket, regreased the headset bearings, put on new cane creek road and cross levers - this is a cool setup by the way, I love being able to brake from the top!. And I put on Tektro long reach brakes. Crankset is Origin-8. The seat is by Fizik. Here are the pics.
Motofixie1.jpg
motofixie2.jpg

Now for the ride. Yesterday I went on nice ride on my new bike. I headed south out of St. Paul along highway 13, to the mendota bridge, past fort snelling, past the VA hospital to Lake Nikomis, up the west side to Lake Harriet and Calhoun, then on to the Midtown Greenway, Lake Street, Marshall avenue, with final stop at Sibley Bike Depot. And finishing my ride at 3pm was perfect timing, because the skies opened up in a torrential downpour, which I completely escaped. What a beautiful fourth of July adventure!
A couple highlights:
I discovered this unique, interesting, packed full bookstore and owner; "The Book Trader" I love books anyway, so how can I not love the self-proclaimed mistress of books, the great Fluffy! She's an interesting person I'd like to get to know better. A sign on her door stating her "New hours," basically every day of the week, has a statement at the bottom which says something like, "Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated."
Very true given I found her quite alive and kind of feisty. Especially when talking about Wally world. Fluffy claims that through informal polling she discovered that the same people that shop at Wally world do not read books. I didn't admit to having shopped at Wally world, but I have and she knew it. And I do read books. And books she has. Fluffy also knows where everything is in her store. Amazing since there are five or seven rooms full of books floor to ceiling, and stacked up in the isles. This is a cool place. But hm. I was supposed to be out for a ride. I didn't want to carry books on my ride so I left the store promising to come back a different time to explore.
TheBookTrader.jpg

Posted by carl1236 at 7:29 AM

Changing body

One thing that can be said for sure is that my body is changing. Exercise is different now than when my body was still growing. Now it seems that recovery is slower and I have other problems, such as breathing issues.
Physical issues can be overcome and change can be focused with the use of therepy, inhalers, vitimins, massage, special exercises, stretching, different running shoes, etc. And changing the mind to accept new physical challenges can also be done. Once I accept that I have a physical challenge, I know what I have to work on, changing my mind to accept and overcome each challenge, and changing my body to respond to special needs.

Posted by carl1236 at 6:49 AM