March 2010 | Main | May 2010

Consistency

I realize that I have not been consistent with blogging daily. I've totally dropped journal-in-a-jar for a while, while I've been preoccupied with the thousands of other things in my life that demand attention. My intentions were to kick-start and motivate my creative writing by blogging/writing a journal about topics I drew from a jar. What really happened is, I became busy with other things and there was not enough energy or time to think.
Currently I'm reading Fahrenheit 451. In this novel society has become so non-thinking and bite-sized-info seeking that it cannot see the value in thought for the sake of thought. It is not big brother trying to force feed a message, although that seems like the result, it is a matter of society burying it's collective head and demanding pleasure over reality. The government is happy to oblige in the name of collective desire for happiness. So in a sense, what we get is what we are asking for. So what is it we are asking for as a nation, as a state, as a citizen, as an individual?
In the book Fahrenheit 451, the people are too entertained to think. The TV walls become interactive and we play a virtual reality part in a play we did not design, with the purpose of bliss. We don't question the underlying questions anymore. We just experience the entertainment of being part of a play. We get attention and we feel connected, while being disconnected.
The nation is at war, and jets fly overhead. It's a constant issue that nobody talks about or cares about. disconnected.
Our Protagonist makes a realization that there is a connection between books and the authors that had the thoughts. There is a human connection behind the stories told and the reader.
Modern media can contribute to a disconnection between author and reader. I don't see a dystopia like Fahrenheit 451 ever happening in our world. It has happened in a smaller scale in certain countries but it doesn't last. My theory on that is, it's because there is so much individual thought going on and countries have already moved to a more global economy, that it eliminates much of the isolationist attitudes necessary to achieve this dystopia. If there is anything that can be said about Fahrenheit 451, is that it is not about censorship but about the awakening of the individual, the awakening of thought over entertainment and the attainment of pleasure for oneself.
And it's ok.

Posted by carl1236 at 12:16 AM

My Least Favorite Job

I don't have a least favorite job. I have least favorite moments within jobs. In general I like to work. I like working toward goals. I love challenges and problem solving. Hard physical work is rewarding to me also.
I've worked in the fields pulling the tassels off the tops of hybrid seed corn plants, in a shoe store selling shoes and accessories, in a shoe store warehouse stocking and sorting shipments, in a factory processing magnetic reel-to-reel computer tapes, washing windows, retail sales in a discount overstock store, computer programming, software technical support, drafting, web design, teaching technical skills, and more. What I have done in my jobs I have generally enjoyed.
I know many people that work in some crazy jobs that I might not want to do, if I were out looking for work. I don't think I'd want to slaughter animals for a living. I don't think I'd want to clean out sewer pipes. And I'm not very keen on handling garbage. But I do know people who do jobs like this and they don't complain. I'm sure if I was there, I'd work and I'd find out it's still work and it's productive and ok.
My favorite job to this point in my life was doing software technical support and training. It was a constant mental challenge that required teamwork and constant learning. And in my current position I get to use some of those skills too.
So my philosophy is that it is not the job that makes the human being. The human being makes the job. What I bring to work is my attitude toward work, creative energy, problem solving skills, motivation to do what it takes to get the job done and people skills.
My least favorite part of my job is when my attitude changes for whatever reason. Then I have to assess why. What makes me tick? And when I say I can't or won't do something I have to ask myself why not. Sometimes my negative attitudes happen in reaction to other people's attitudes and what they are bringing to their work. Then I have to ask why I am reacting like I am. And sometimes that will lead to a needed action or more self reflection. Sometimes that leads to a change of jobs or a change of attitude.

Posted by carl1236 at 7:05 AM