? My best friend in High School | Main | My Least Enjoyed Chore as a Child ?

What I love most about being a father

I have always said that I wouldn't have traded my life out for anything. The choice to have children might have been naive and an uneducated guess at what it would mean to my life. When we had our son, we did not think that far in advance. We had a strong sense of knowing that we could deal with whatever comes up, when it comes up.
So that attitude became a do-it-yourself guide when it came to raising kids. Sure, we read things, but it definitely was not a planned approach. Like in the movie Toy Story, Buzz Lightyear said, "It's falling with style!" I may not be able to actually fly with these toy wings, but look how far I can go!
So we did most of the parenting things expected by society. We enrolled our kids in music lessons, we had them in sports, we participated in the PTO, we had them in scouts, and became scout leaders. We also took them on vacations, helped them with homework and gave them money for the teeth they lost. I've played Santa, Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy. All of that was not just an experience for our children. It was a life-time of experiences for me and my wife. We participated, we learned and we saw life from the perspectives of our parents. That shift from child-view to parent-view is definitely one of the things I like about being a parent.

Posted by carl1236 at March 30, 2010 7:18 AM | Journal in a Jar