? My Least Favorite Job | Main | Why I am riding the Tour de Cure for American Diabetes Association ?

Consistency

I realize that I have not been consistent with blogging daily. I've totally dropped journal-in-a-jar for a while, while I've been preoccupied with the thousands of other things in my life that demand attention. My intentions were to kick-start and motivate my creative writing by blogging/writing a journal about topics I drew from a jar. What really happened is, I became busy with other things and there was not enough energy or time to think.
Currently I'm reading Fahrenheit 451. In this novel society has become so non-thinking and bite-sized-info seeking that it cannot see the value in thought for the sake of thought. It is not big brother trying to force feed a message, although that seems like the result, it is a matter of society burying it's collective head and demanding pleasure over reality. The government is happy to oblige in the name of collective desire for happiness. So in a sense, what we get is what we are asking for. So what is it we are asking for as a nation, as a state, as a citizen, as an individual?
In the book Fahrenheit 451, the people are too entertained to think. The TV walls become interactive and we play a virtual reality part in a play we did not design, with the purpose of bliss. We don't question the underlying questions anymore. We just experience the entertainment of being part of a play. We get attention and we feel connected, while being disconnected.
The nation is at war, and jets fly overhead. It's a constant issue that nobody talks about or cares about. disconnected.
Our Protagonist makes a realization that there is a connection between books and the authors that had the thoughts. There is a human connection behind the stories told and the reader.
Modern media can contribute to a disconnection between author and reader. I don't see a dystopia like Fahrenheit 451 ever happening in our world. It has happened in a smaller scale in certain countries but it doesn't last. My theory on that is, it's because there is so much individual thought going on and countries have already moved to a more global economy, that it eliminates much of the isolationist attitudes necessary to achieve this dystopia. If there is anything that can be said about Fahrenheit 451, is that it is not about censorship but about the awakening of the individual, the awakening of thought over entertainment and the attainment of pleasure for oneself.
And it's ok.

Posted by carl1236 at April 19, 2010 12:16 AM