Category "Love Yourself"

Category "Love your Neighbor"

What we really want

You know, it's not hard to see this or understand. What we really want is to just be ourselves and be accepted and recognized. And so it's also not hard to see why our society can get so screwed up and stressful. D...The other day when we were talking, I heard you. And I listened. I saw the real you, the sparkle in your eye when you talked about what you love. The energy you gave off was totally awesome when you realized that I was really interested what you had to say. And to tell you the truth, you made my day!

Posted by carl1236 at 12:45 AM | Love Yourself | Love your Neighbor

Category "Love Yourself"

A Chinese Meditation for YOU

So today I couldn't pass up a book on Chinese proverbs and meditations complete with Tao Stones. There are 8 stones of two colors, each with the chinese characters for Tao, Yin, Yang, Fire, Water, Wood, Metal and Earth. This makes sixty four combinations of characters, from which we can obtain a personal reading and meditation.
Today you are lucky. I am going to draw two stones from the red and gold dragon bag and give you a reading. As with all little gems of wisdom, it does us no good unless we somehow find a way to apply it to our lives.
WOW! you get Metal and Tao! Very auspicious!

First the Proverb: Sacrificing your conscience to ambition is like burning a painting to get the ashes.

Now the poem:
No act of power goes without its reward.
A good deed brings back good in return.
Be gracious, my child, in your power
And bless the common people,
So that your reign may continue forever.

Meditation:
Is there much to add? Act justly, live humbly and walk quietly with your God.

My thoughts on this:
In the end, nobody can live your life for you, and nobody but you can look into the mirror and know if you've been true to who you are and what you believe in. It's better to live your life honestly with yourself than sacrifice your principles along the way. Yeah, easier said than done sometimes, but life is what it is and we know what we know. We all die, some sooner than others, and it sure is nice to be able to see an image in the mirror we are not ashamed to look at. And oh the beauty we miss in life when we lose sight of who we really are.

Have a great day!

Posted by carl1236 at 11:38 PM | Love Yourself

Category "Love Yourself"

Category "motivation"

Health fitness and motivation

After being on my new job for about 15 weeks now, my fitness level has deteriorated drastically. My asthma has gotten worse, I haven't been running or biking or swimming. I also haven't been getting enough sleep. I've also gained weight. It's taken only 15 weeks to wipe out the benefits I gained with the athletes lifestyle. So now I have to figure out how to get started again. The first three things:
1. Get enough sleep.
2. Cut out the junk foods and get back into my healthy, nutritious foods.
3. Cut back on the coffee and mix it up with teas again. Intake less caffeine.

Then start running and biking again, and some tennis with the new tennis partner I found at work. Tennis on Saturday morning. :-)

Posted by carl1236 at 7:52 PM | Love Yourself | motivation

Category "Love Yourself"

Peace while at War

How can I be peaceful while I am struggling to survive the transition to a new job and career? It's very difficult if I am fighting it. To be peaceful inside I have to not fight, but create. So I am creating something new. New skills, new friends, new way of doing things, new solutions. To me this is very cool and rewarding. There is no peace in war. Resistance really is futile.

Posted by carl1236 at 10:06 PM | Love Yourself

Category "Love Yourself"

At the end of the day

At the end of the day we have to feel good about ourselves. Today a friend said this to me. Sometimes we do things just because at the end of the day we have to feel good about ourselves. Sometimes we do things just because they need to be done. And because we need to do them.
I don't know. Today I felt like I had to get some things accomplished. I did my best but I did not complete my tasks. I did some good things; worked on my bike which sorely needed it, worked on my programming tasks, took a nap, Ate lunch with the guys at the bike shop, and watched a movie. But I did not finish my programming task. I planned on going into work and implementing this small program on Sunday, but it doesn't look like it will work out the way I planned. I will spend all day on Sunday working on it. I just don't get why this is so difficult to understand. I'm so close to understanding but so far away. tomorrow I will solve this problem. And on Monday I'll implement it and save dozens of hours of work time. And in the long run, this software automation will be reused for other tasks. It will help me meet my deadlines for the project I'm working on. So at the end of the day, I have to feel good about myself. A few years ago I could have written this program in a matter of hours. Now I do not understand what I have forgotten. Now I will relearn and feel good about it. But it's kind of stressful to put myself under this kind of pressure. But sometimes solving problems under pressure is part of the solution to feeling good about ourselves when it's all said and done isn't it? When the day is over, did we do our best? If not, then tomorrow we have to. At least that's who I am. I have to. I'm happy with the results of the day, but I'm also looking forward to solving the problems I did not resolve today. At the end of the day we still have to feel good about ourselves. It leads to the next present moment of existence we will go through.

Posted by carl1236 at 11:51 PM | Love Yourself

Category "Attitude"

Category "Life"

Category "Love Yourself"

Category "Triathlons"

Asthma and Allergies, Oh my!

Today I went to the doctor, twice, in order to get to the bottom of all of my recent health problems. I found out I am allergic to Ragweed and dust mites and that I have asthma. That explains a lot. Now I understand what I've been feeling. And like a stereotypical guy, I didn't bother going to a doctor until my friends and family got tough on me. So today I took some time to look into it by seeking professional help. And I'm glad I did. Now I have an inhaler I'm going to test and some nasal stuff for the allergies. And I have to vaccuum with a dust mask on.
My day was good overall. After my morning doctor's appointment, I got to go to the coffee shop and play a game of chess with a regular who I've only heard about. It was fun playing again! Then I picked up my prescriptions, ate some lunch and went to my next appointment. Then I ate dinner and went to a job interview. That felt really good. It's my third interview and it lasted two hours! The funny part is, I have a fourth interview with the same company! haha. Now I'm getting excited! And I feel like I really want to work there. It will be good for me I think. (for myself and others) For a while I thought I would do more good by staying, but now feel I'll do more good by leaving. make sense?

Posted by carl1236 at 8:52 PM | Attitude | Life | Love Yourself | Triathlons

Category "Love Yourself"

Today

Today I took care of myself. I was headed out for a training ride, but my knee hurt. This morning when I woke up I had this pain which wasn't there the night before. But I thought it might work it's way out when I started riding my bike. It persisted. I looked at my watch and saw that I still had time to make it to Jim's shop for his Saturday morning ride. All in all I rode about 35 miles today, but most of it was a leisurely pace and it felt good. I also met some new people and had fun hanging out with them for the morning.
Then I stopped by Harriet Island and chatted with the Pedicab drivers. they were just getting started and I helped them fix a problem with a front derailer not working on one cab. After chatting for a while, I rode up the Ohio hill (very slowly) and then on to home. It was about 11:30am by then and I ate a late breakfast, showered and promptly took a nap. Ohhh and it was a goooood nap. When I woke up it was time for lunch already, haha, so I ate again. Then I did some work around the house, took another nap and it was time for dinner. After dinner I did a little work on the computer and watched an Alfred Hitchcock movie called Marnie, starring Sean Connery. I couldn't believe it. I guess I had not seen any of his early work. I think this movie was made in 1964. It was interesting.
Now here I am, well rested, well fed and ready for bed again. Tomorrow morning is lake swimming. All in all, I'd call this a day of rest and recuperation. I needed that.

Posted by carl1236 at 10:10 PM | Love Yourself

Category "Love Yourself"

Maybe we need to rethink our whole approach

We often become reactionary thinkers. We go down a path like a chain-reaction – one thing leads to another, one choice is based on a previous choice and we find ourselves in the current position and what we have created and what we are choosing now is situation-based.
Where is the line between accepting who you are and working to change/improve yourself? Basically we should have love for our self. Which means sometimes we have to do what is good for us. And we can learn to define our choices based on who we are verses defining who we are based on our choices. It doesn’t mean you are a bad person because you chose a certain path to go down. By necessity choices have to support our current path or we are on a different path. But maybe getting off our chosen path is not so bad. Sometimes the time is right to take a new approach.
Our value and self-worth as a human being goes along with us on whatever path we choose. We are no less valuable to God if we are a Dentist or Delivery Driver. Sometimes we can make better choices in life though, and this is where change/self-improvement comes in. We should continue to love ourselves no matter what. This is why we should always be in the process of changing/improving ourselves. We should always be involved in the process of change. It’s not something we order up that someone else prepares for us and accept or reject it. In Eastern traditions we are constantly in the process of becoming enlightened and we should not stop seeking this. Really enlightenment is the process of self-improvement, or purification and like purifying water there is a process we go through to do this. It’s not something we arrive at by accident. Change is essential and ongoing regardless of what activities we are doing in these bodies. Everything in life becomes an education. School never ends and we are perpetual students. How good of students are we? I don’t think self-acceptance really means being satisfied with where we are at in life. I think true self-acceptance, is acceptance of ourselves no matter what path we are on, and loving ourselves no matter what path we are on. Change comes when we accept who we are and try to make better and more loving choices for ourselves.
If I am mean to others and I become aware that I am, do I accept that as who I am? Or do I try to change? The loving thing to do would be try to change. I accept myself as a human being and don’t bash myself and counter-act what is good for me. It’s good for me to be kind to others. I feel better when I do and it’s good for my soul. So I seek to change how I treat others. I feel like we confuse our choices with who we are as a human being and spiritual being, all part of God. When we make bad choices we tend to be hyper critical of ourselves and devalue who we are. We stop accepting our own value and self-worth. But really it’s our bad choices that we should stop accepting and make better choices.
Since choices are often based on a chain reaction in life, one choice leading to another, down a specific path, sometimes we need to rethink the whole approach. To arrive at a new, creative choice, we have to look at the big picture and choose a path that will have the desired chain reaction of choices.
But no matter what path we choose, we still (lovingly) carry ourselves down the path and constantly learn and improve who we are, making better and better choices. This also means (lovingly) we don't need to correct things that are working and that are good and right. We make choices based on who we are and it works.

Posted by carl1236 at 1:53 PM | Love Yourself