Category "Philosophy"

Living in Sim City

What if we are really living in Sim City? With rules programmed in that make us respond in certain ways to different situations. For instance, when we are hungry we stomp our feet and get frustrated. Then our moral goes down and we lose points. We also lose energy and lose our jobs. Then we lose the game.
And when we play by the rules we prosper within an artifical environment that means nothing in the real world. In Sim City we control the destiny of our artificial selves. It's great. WE are what we create in Sim City. Now if only our Sims could be happy in their simulated lives.

Posted by carl1236 at 11:37 PM | Philosophy

Category "Philosophy"

Do we not all live short lives?

Some people pretend that it goes on forever, until they realize that it's almost over. And that what seemed important is not important in the grand scheme of things. But me? I think this physical life is short for everyone and people make a big deal of too many things that would not be a big deal if they knew they were only going to be alive for a few more weeks or even a year.
The certainty of death in a way has a humbling effect on most people, but not everyone. But maybe some people don't think that death for them is right around the corner. How quickly the changes happen in our bodies.
Now I am going to ask a simple question that has nothing to do with religion or belief in eternal life, because some people will think I'm leading to that. But I'm not. The eternal nature of our souls is not what I'm thinking about. The question is this: If we develop the medical knowledge and technology such as through genetic engineering, to prolong lives and eliminate diseases, what will that do to the attitudes of of people and their humility? Will the great leveler be abolished? Will the world be filled with unstoppable ego-maniacs?

Posted by carl1236 at 9:46 PM | Philosophy

Category "Philosophy"

Measuring Time

Let's not measure time
by counting off seconds,
but rather by
measuring change.
Let's count off changes
that have taken place
in our minds and souls.
What a pitty it would be
to live an entire life
without the ability
to measure it.

Posted by carl1236 at 12:48 AM | Philosophy

Category "Philosophy"

God only knows what I'd be without you...

I found this cool book called, 50 Philosophy Ideas you really need to know, by Ben Dupre'
This is must read for anyone interested in this kind of thing. And God only knows what I'd be without my mind. Thank you Beach Boys.

Posted by carl1236 at 11:47 PM | Philosophy