Final Assignment: The Pitch

Pugh Chart

pugh.jpg

Sadly, I didn't end up loving any of the 5 ideas I ended up with. But, I decided that overall the candy with Vitamin D for seasonal depression would be the best idea for me to work with, and not just because it had the most +s.
I knew that if there wasn't too much Vitamin D, it would be safe.

Naming It

I originally wanted to make candies like the butterscotch candies and call them sundrops, but that name was already taken. Then I googled sun to find words associated with it. "Sunburst" stood out because it reminded me of Starburst.
I ended up calling the candy Sunbursts. I decided they could be chocolate and have a burst of caramel inside.

sunbursts.jpg

Pitch Video

I filmed it in chunks because I was planning on doing some image overlays, and then it wouldn't really matter. However, I forgot that I now have a Mac with iMovie as the editing software, which limited me in that way. So sorry that it's not all one fluid video!

Here is my pitch video.

Idea Evaluation

Seasonal Affective Disorder - Product Idea Evaluation

Which products are marketable?

I had already asked my Facebook friends to complete a poll for the third assignment, so I wanted to find a more random assortment of people to complete my survey. This was much harder than I thought. First I made the survey on Survey Monkey. Since I could only have 10 questions, the questions were in this format:
Would you buy this? If so, how much would you pay for it?
Would not buy
< $1
$1-$3
etc.

I tried using Mechanical Turk, since you can pay small amounts for people to take the survey. It was somewhat confusing and I probably did it wrong, because I looked the next day and it still had zero responses. Then I decided to buy an audience for a dollar per person on Survey Monkey. I figured $15 wasn't too bad. But, the minimum number of people allowed was 50, and $50 was way too much for me.

Finally, I trusted the power of the internet. I put the survey on a Subreddit called SampleSize. I also posted it twice on Yahoo Answers in the Polls & Surveys section, which I think was more effective. I said that while anyone could take it, it was especially helpful if they had seasonal depression or knew someone who had it. The responses were coming in very slowly, and then stopped. At the end of Monday night I was at 5 responses and feeling a little hopeless. However, by Tuesday evening, I had 16...somehow.

My 5 Most Marketable Products (In Order)

1.) Candy with Vitamin D added. People were willing to pay Anywhere between $0.01-$8 for this.
2.) Glowing moldable object which changes colors. Most people were willing to pay $1-$20 for this.
3.) Musical and light up shower head. People were willing to pay between $4-50 dollars for this. 4/15 said they'd buy it and pay $30-$50 for it.
4.) Ice cream with Vitamin D
5.) Fake Sun Light or Lamp

I was surprised and somewhat pleased to see that when I googled my ideas, my sketches from the blog were in the results...sometimes even the first one!

1.) Candy With Vitamin D

2 by 2 sun candy.jpg

1 fluid onces liquid vitamin d = $8.99 (200 IU every 5 drops)
170 pieces of butterscotch candy are $7.20
915 drops in the container
I want a drop for each candy
170 x 5 + 85 = 935
7.20 x 5 = $36 + $3.60 = $39.60 + 9.00 = $48.60
so ROUGHLY$50 for 920 pieces of candy, which means it would be $5 to manufacture this much. Let's say I sold a bag of 100 at a time, I could make it for about 50 cents. This is lower than what I could charge, so these could generate a profit.

Related Patent: Methods and compounds for vitamin D therapy
Number: 8,592,401
"A method for lowering or maintaining lowered serum parathyroid hormone in human patients including administering to said patients an effective amount of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D.sub.2..."

2.) Glowing moldable object. Light inside that changes colors.

2 by 2 glow blob.jpg

I have no idea what material to use for this, so it isn't too feasible at the moment.

Related Patent: Color shifting film glitter
Number: 6,475,609
"Glitter, at least a portion of which comprises color shifting film. The glitter is useful in any of a variety of ways, including in loose form, attached to the surface of a substrate, in a dispersible combination, or present in a matrix material ranging, for example, from liquids, such as water and alcohols, to gels, such as silicone and glycerol, to hard, rigid materials such as plastics, particle board, and fiberglass. Examples of other matrix materials include putties or molding clays, rubbers, and adhesives."

3.) Light Up & Musical Shower Head

2 by 2 SHOWER.jpg

Musical: $200
+$20 LED light
$220 /10 = $22 manufacture. This is less than some people are willing to pay for it, so it could potentially generate a profit.

Related Patent: Toilet Light
Number: 8,398,257
"Devices, apparatus, and methods of using a solar powered, battery operated, light sensitive toilet seat LED (light emitting diode) lid light device that removably clamps to an edge of the outside toilet seat lid. A solar panel is visible on outside of toilet seat is used to recharge a battery in the device. The underside of device contains the secured battery, circuit board, mercury switch and photocell. When the lid and device are in upright position the mercury switch closes. The photocell senses absence of light and the LED light illuminates the toilet bowl and surrounding area."

4.) Ice Cream with Vitamin D

2 by 2 ice cream.jpg

Let's say 48 fl oz of ice cream is $5.00.
A scoop is 1/2 cup, which is 4 fl oz. That means there's 12 scoops in the tub. A typical bowl probably has about 4 scoops of ice cream in it. I want no more than 800 IU of Vitamin D in 4 scoops. There's 2000 IU in 5 drops. If each drop has 400 IU, I want a half a drop per scoop. I want 6 drops per 48 fl oz of ice cream. There's 915 drops per container. 915/6 = 152.5 tubs of ice cream x $5.00 = $762.50 + $9 for Vitamin D = $771.5 for 152.5 tubs. $5.06 for 1 tub. The Vitamin D adds about 6 cents cost. 5.06/10 = $0.51 to manufacture, which is much less than what I could charge, so I could generate profit.

Related Patent: Vitamin D Deficiencies
Number: 8,592,218
"Methods for determining the amount of vitamin D compounds in a sample are provided. The methods can employ LC-MS/MS techniques and optionally the use of deuterated internal standards. Methods for diagnosing vitamin D deficiencies are also provided."

5.) Sun Light and/or Lamp

2 by 2 sun lamp.jpg

Clear heat lamp = $5 for 250W
$200 for a light therapy lamp
Maybe $5 to add the sun shape
= $210
$21 to manufacture

Related Patent: Lighting system for use in light therapy
Number: 8,486,126
"A method and device for light color therapy, which is a method for simultaneously exposing specific surface regions of the human body to light of specific but possibly different frequencies, temporal characteristics and polarization. The device is constructed to match anatomical details of the human body such as to apply the simultaneous local light exposures to the desired body regions and to compensate for possible movement of the head, thereby minimizing the time required for a single treatment."

Structured Ideation

Part 1 - SCAMPER

Substitute
I did the first morphological analysis matrix that we did in class for a light therapy lamp.

matrix.png

The functional requirements were "gives off strong light", "adjustable/flexible", "portable", I came up with a light up shower head that lights up and plays music.

sad shower head.jpg

Combine

I played cross products and ended up combining a stuffed animal with a light box. I knew the essence of a stuffed animal is something cute and furry. I made the light box penguin shaped, and it could possibly be fuzzy too. A possible addition to this idea is to make the penguin poop out vitamin D supplements.

penguin light.jpg

Adapt
Is there something similar, but in a different context?
At the Minneapolis Institute of the Arts, there's a giant hanging sun light.

sun at mia.jpg

I thought, what if this could be smaller, and hung from ceilings (indoors/outdoors~I'm thinking of the Washington Ave bridge)? It could even be made into a sort of sun-shaped lamp that gives off heat.

fake sun.jpg

Magnify/Minify

I decided if I made a small but bright light it could be portable and attach so a variety of things. If on your wrist, it goes everywhere with you. It could also be put on bed frames, pet collars, and water bottles because the strap is adjustable.

light with adjust.jpg

Put to other use

The main use of my ideas other than to help seasonal affective disorder would be decoration...and since it's winter, why not Christmas decorating? I thought the SAD box could be star shaped, and go on top of the Christmas tree, with tiny UV (or just regular lights, because it could be harmful) string lights.

sad star.jpg

Eliminate

How can I simplify it?
Instead of having a light a large light or a portable one that attaches to things, there could just be one that goes on your smart phone, since a lot of people have them and use them constantly.
I went on to consider that you could have an app that turns it on and off, and the app tracks how much it is on. The more it's on, the higher your score is. Then you can try and beat your friends (people love doing that).

phone light.jpg

Reverse/Rearrange

What if I consider my problem backwards?
Maybe I shouldn't be trying to bring summer and light to the person, but instead highlight the good things about winter. I came up with a picture that has a light frame and the images are like a slideshow which show beautiful and fun things about winter.

winter slideshow.jpg

Part 2 - TRIZ

For Triz, I came up with a problem that could work for a lot of ideas. How can I make a sun box smaller and change its form while still making it bright?

The problems that came up were:

12 - Shape
18 - Illumination Intensity

Looking at the table, it was either numbers 32 & 30, or 13, 15 and 32.
13 - The other way around
15 - Dynamics [change characteristics, divide an object into parts, make an object movable or adaptable if it's rigid]
30 - Flexible shells and thin films
32 - Color changes

Dynamics made me think of a glowing moldable object. Figuring it wasn't feasible, I modified the idea to be a flexible object with a light inside. The outside is transparent, and it can be molded into different shapes around the light.

glow blob.jpg

For color changes, I thought of making the light inside change colors. It could have a bright setting for therapy, but it could also be rainbow or fade from color to color. Some people find different colors calming, and then it could have an alternate use too.

color changing light box.jpg

Part 3 - Revisit Silly Ideas

Control The Seasons
While you can't literally control the seasons, you can control their indoor effect. Your windows go dark at 5 pm... Why not replace window frames with lights that turn on so through the shades it looks like it is still bright out? Another idea is to make the window be a screen as well so it displays images like beaches and green grass. [could reinvent the meaning of "sun room"]

window frame lights.jpg

Puppy Machines
The general idea is a machine which gives you a puppy whenever you want one. Instead, I'm imagining a place like a dog shelter, but turned into a business. People can still adopt dogs, but that's not the main function. Mainly you can go and pet/play with a variety of cute animals for a low cost. It sounds weird, but I know a lot of students who miss having pets around. Even when we had two dogs at home, my sister would always want to go to the pet store just to look at and pet the animals.

puppy playground.jpg

Part 4 - Gallery of Top 10 Ideas

music in cup.jpg

penguin light.jpg

fake sun.jpg

glow blob.jpg

phone light.jpg

puppy playground.jpg

sad shower head.jpg

sun cat.jpg

sad star.jpg

anti depression ice cream.jpg

Brainstorming Session

The Game

I began by brainstorming types of games that help with brainstorming:
-Scattergories
-Balderdash
-Last Word

The game I made up is a version of scattergories. Instead of getting a letter and thinking up words based on different categories, they were to get a category and think up something for each letter of the alphabet. The person with the most original answers was the winner.

Brainstorming

The participants were an almost even mix of boys and girls from my floor. Some were from Minnesota and others from different states, and everyone had a different major. They were: Sarah Brewer, Kelvin Wong, Taylor Hilbrant, Kayli Nagle, Haley Christensen, Ryan Mathison, and Brad Prom.

people writig.jpg
Left to right: Ryan Mathison, Kelvin Wong, and Sarah Brewer
writing down their ideas.

After the game, I gave them my first prompt, which was:

How might we make people feel happier in the winter?
This may have been too vague, because I got a very wide range of answers. Most of them were existing ideas and products.

There were 75 ideas in 10 minutes, making it about 1.07 ideas per person per minute.

I decided the second prompt should get them more focused on seasonal affective disorder:

How might we make a product that helps with seasonal depression?

brad and ideas.jpg
Brad Prom poses under the wall of ideas.

When they were running out of ideas, I told them to think of the worst ideas possible. They came up with things like "puppy decapitator" and "suicide machine"...simply lovely.

This time, there were 98 ideas in 20 minutes... Making in .7 ideas per person per minute. (The last 5 minutes people were barely writing any because they were "out")

Somehow, they still had off-topic answers like the first one. Most, if not all, were very silly. But that was okay.

Sorting

I ended up with these categories:

Round One:

sortedd.jpg

Round Two:
sortedd 2.jpg

Top 10
I asked people to vote for their favorite 3 ideas. Then, I selected 10 and made my own sketches.

1st Round - How might we make people happy in the winter?

1.) Sun Cat - Kelvin
sun cat.jpg

2.) Happiness App - Me
happy app.jpg

3.) Something shiny - Sarah
shiny stuff.jpg

4.) Winter Calendar with activities/quotes everyday - Me
winter calendar.jpg

5.) Fun with winter activities - Sarah
fun with winter activities.jpg

2nd Round - How might we create a product that helps seasonal affective disorder?

6.) Musical cup - Kelvin
music in cup.jpg

7.) Rainbow Machine - Haley
Rainbow machine.jpg

8.) Anti-Depression Ice Cream - Ryan
anti depression ice cream.jpg

9.) Sun-shaped vitamin D candy - Me
vitamin d candy.jpg

10.) Fake Sun - Kayli
Fake Sun.jpg

Honorable Mentions:
These weren't in the Top 10 ideas, but they're worth mentioning and discussing:
"Beating everyone else because we rock." (Brad) Though this was meant to be silly, it reminds me of what an interviewee said last week. He wants to feel a sense of accomplishment in the winter. I would like to find ways to make a game out of the product because people will use it more if there is an objective (like beating their friends).

"Summer simulator." (Ryan) This didn't have a sketch with it, and it was much too vague for me to make one for it. But I think if there's a way to simulate summer, whether it's in a location, in your room, or on your screen, that would be helpful.

"Talking to people." (Haley) This isn't a product, but social interaction is really important. Isolation is one of the major symptoms of seasonal affective disorder.

The amount of product ideas that came out of this session was disappointingly low, but I did get a pretty good idea of the things that make people happy. I'll find ways to incorporate those things into a product.

[[Edit: The ones without names were mine, so I added "Me" to them.]]

Seasonal depression

Seasonal Depression

For this project, I was assigned seasonal depression...or as it's called in the mental health world, seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Though my other topics would've been sillier or given me a wider range to work with, I enjoyed the challenge. In addition, mental health has always been an area of interest for me.

OBSERVE

My wheels began turning right away. I looked up information on SAD so I could begin "observing". Though, unfortunately it's difficult to observe with mental health matters. You can look for symptoms, but they're often hard to see, and a lot of other factors could be an influence. Instead, I made little notes when people spoke negatively about the weather. It was mostly about the cold, or it being dark extremely early. Here's an example: On Murmur, a new app for university students, someone posted this (it posted twice because the app still has a lot of glitches):

murmur.jpg

This was not super helpful. So, I also created a survey to see if I could get some data that way. I made a free account on Survey Monkey and made a 10 question survey. I asked questions like, "Have you ever thought yourself to have seasonal depression/winter blues?" and asked people how frequently they felt various symptoms. I had more questions, but 10 was the limit for a free account. I posted it to my Floor 6 Facebook Group and to my Facebook Wall, asking people to take it. I guessed maybe 20-30 people would fill it out... But in just 16 hours, I already had 81 responses.
Here's the link if you want to check it out!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PQWGXCD

I'll go over the data in the "Dig Deeper" portion of the blog.

INTERVIEW

Active Minds

banner.jpg

I received an email from Active Minds, the mental health group on campus, notifying me about a meeting Wednesday night. I signed up to be on the email list at the beginning of the year, and never went to a meeting. But, I figured this would be a great interview opportunity. The meeting was on slam poetry. A few students from the U Slam group came and read their competitive poems to us. It was quite depressing, but beautiful.

I paid attention to who seemed to be leading the meeting, and spoke to her when it was over. She ended up being the president of Active Minds. As with all of the interviews, I'm not going to use names.

When asked about seasonal depression, she said, "I think it kind of affects a lot of people in different ways and to different degrees. I'm not super strongly influenced by it, but just walking over today, the fact that it was dark at 5:15 put me in a bad mood."
She spoke of her father, who takes vitamin D supplements to help his seasonal depression. Her roommate is going to Norway and has to take vitamin D supplements as well. I asked her what she thinks could influence seasonal depression, other than the chemical aspects. She said, "In winter you don't get that freedom to do what you want when you want. I can see, in the winter, isolation is kind of encouraged almost because there's a lot less things to do...you don't get to kind of get outside and be social."

Boynton Health Services

1048215_10151596365312108_1716439880_o.jpg

I was originally thinking of interviewing my psychology professor, but I couldn't make it to his office hour. I decided a mental health professional would be an "expert", but I had no clue how to go about getting an interview with one. I went to Boynton Health Services and asked the front desk. I was directed to the fourth floor, which housed the Mental Health Counseling wing. I asked the receptionist there, and she gave me a number to call. Apparently there's a particular man who handles interviews about mental health.
I started the phone interview by saying "Tell me about any experience you've had with seasonal affective disorder." I knew we were supposed to be as vague as possible, and let the interviewee say whatever comes to their mind.

This made him uneasy, however. He wanted me to be specific and he was asking me questions to get to the core of what I was asking. I encouraged him to say anything, but this led nowhere. Finally, he said, "Well, it gets diagnosed a lot. And some people self-diagnose." Then there was silence, which he broke with asking about my project. He was set on heading in a certain direction with his answers. I began jumping into my "dig deeper" questions right away.

I asked, "Do you think very many people go untreated?" He thought it was a possibility, but there is no data to measure it. I asked if the treatments have been effective. He said, "Yes and no, it's hard to say. A lot of times we know someone has SAD because the treatments work." Apparently phototherapy is the most common treatment. He believes that for some it's not a serious issue. They come in feeling a little depressed, receive phototherapy, and they're fine. For others, it's very serious...to the point of being suicidal. I asked a few more questions, but I didn't get any answers. He said "It depends" or "That's out of my league."

Interview Three (and Four!)

For the last interview, I just wanted to talk to a random student like myself. I asked my floor if anyone would be okay with being interviewed. One guy that I kind of knew agreed to it. He told me that he didn't realize he might have seasonal depression until I mentioned it. He said in the summer, he felt really good about going to the University of Minnesota. But, when Stanford beat the Oregon Ducks, he realized that the students there had "everything" and suddenly felt inferior. He suddenly felt more anxious about his future and wish he could have security, and a girlfriend. Cue the awkward laughter. He's from Texas, so he's already worn down by the cold Minnesota weather. He's not excited when people say, "Hey, this is warm for winter." He wants a way to feel less lonely and a sense of progress. He feels like the SAD lamps that give off bright light are too artificial; he'd rather have sun-like warmth. Maybe a sun hanging, or a warm pillow he could hug.

I drew a sun on the page randomly, and another guy looked over my shoulder. "Oh, sorry," he said. "I just saw a sun and it made me happy." This kind of summed everything up. I asked him if he had seasonal depression. He didn't really know, but he said he did feel sadder in the winter. He said he could stand it for maybe a month, because he gets excited about Christmas and the snow. But then, it gets to be too much and there's nothing to look forward to.

EXPERIENCE

I don't want to say much about this, but I have experienced the effects of seasonal depression too...even this weekend. I felt down, slept too long and felt like isolating myself. I found the most helpful thing was having something positive about winter to look forward too. My roommate forced me to get up and we went shopping. I bought things that got me excited about Christmas. It was weird how much happier I felt having a snowman tissue box and a bag of peppermint bark squares.

1470198_10202492378013538_66163394_n.jpg

"Dig Deeper"

The survey got 92 responses.
About 40% of the people who answered have believed themselves to have had seasonal depression or winter blues. 18% weren't sure. Yet, only 3 people had been diagnosed with seasonal affective disorder. About 10% of the people who took the survey have received some sort of SAD treatment.
That's pretty crazy. That means a lot of people who feel depressed in the winter aren't getting treated for it.

84% of people believe it's at least somewhat true that most people feel less happy in the winter. About 91% of people think it's at least somewhat true that seasonal depression is a serious issue that should be discussed and addressed more often. If a product helping seasonal depression were to be popularized, this might make people talk about it more and take it more seriously.

Moving ahead, I think there's a few directions to go with this project. I could...
a.) Find a way to create a product that is desirable and cures the chemical part of SAD.
b.) Find ways to let people experience aspects of summer in the winter.
c.) Find a way for people to be excited about winter after Christmas.
Or some combination of all of those..

People need something to look forward to that makes them feel happier in the winter because a lot of people get winter blues.
"About 40% of the people who answered have believed themselves to have had seasonal depression or winter blues."
"After Christmas there's nothing to look forward to."
"He wants to feel less lonely and a sense of progress in winter."

Silly Ideas

Do Something Fun
Though I do love comedies and enjoy board games, I began this assignment with an intense battle. My friends Tony and Kelvin had nerf guns and I had a sword. We fought like we were six years old. I figured since children were more creative, I'd do something that brought out my inner child. We were running around sixth floor, laughing, yelling and acting like assassins. It was awesome.
They're quite photogenic:

tony kelvin.jpg

Ideas about Winter
Next, I created a mind map of winter like the ones we made in class. I doodled on it and broke out the crayons.

mind map.jpg

My chosen sub themes: Snowball Fights, Seasonal Depression, Christmas Decorating

The next part of this assignment proved to be the hardest. I began asking questions like, "How can I change ice fishing?" and "What's the WORST thing I could put in this snow globe?" Tony and Kelvin thought of some interesting things too. I wrote everything down...from a glow in the dark shovel to fireproof stockings to hot chocolate that refills itself. Then I selected my 12 favorite ideas. Here's some early sketches:

idears2.jpg

I decided that 10 and 11 weren't original enough.

10 Silly Products

I did final sketches of my top 10:

1.) Nic Cage Snow Globe
1391973_10202440351312903_1138429872_n.jpg

2.) Battery powered mittens
mitten.jpg

3.) Baby Jesus Christmas Lights
jeezus.jpg

4.) Ice Fishing Pole with a Camera to find the fish
fish finder.jpg

5.) Snowman Character Kits
hp sno.jpg

6.) Boots with little shovels on the front
shovel boots.jpg

7.) Snow Powered Jet Pack
jetpack.jpg

8.) Snow Brick Maker (For Snow Forts)
brick maker.jpg

9.) Markers with liquid to color the snow (and it glows in the dark)
snoglo.jpg

And finally...

10.) Homeless Santa Costume
homless santa.jpg

Sugar Saps

Image4.jpg
Part 1: Ideation

I started off the assignment with making an associative map of the cookie.
I noted ways to make my cookie it differ from the norm.

Associative Map

Is it Novel?

Over the week, I came up with different ideas of what I wanted to try.
I thought of such things as peach cookies shaped like peaches (or princess peach), cookies shaped like salmonella typhimirium,
small neon cookies, cookies that looked like pancakes or waffles, and cookies shaped like poop.
I wrote them down in my brainstorming journal and then googled them. Based on my Google Image results, I rated them 0-5 on how "novel" they were. Here's what I decided:

Peach cookies - 2.5
Poop Cookies - 2
Salmonella Cookies - 4.5+
Honey cookies - 1.5
Neon Bites - 4
Anti-Valentine's - 1
Coffee Cookies - 3
Pancake Cookies - 2
Waffle Cookies - 3

I decided I wanted to try making either small, square, brightly colored cookies or salmonella cookies.
I was leaning toward the latter because I enjoyed the irony, but I looked for supplies for both.

Part 2: Is it feasible?

The question "Is it feasible?" became an ominous one and I spent my entire Saturday answering it.
Being a total noob to baking, I made some rookie mistakes.
I followed a basic sugar cookies recipe, and did some experimenting with form (and a little with color).
This was my first major fail of the day:

before.jpg

8 minutes later...

after.jpg

I realized quickly that changing the color nor height would do anything.
Even moderate shape changes weren't working out so well.
At this point I decided the best plan of action was to make oblong microbe cookies,
and just color the frosting. Once done, I added "Twizzler Pull and Peel" strings;
these photos were my inspiration:

salm.jpg SalmonellaNIAID.jpg

They turned out like this:

salm cookie.jpg

(I planned on adding a bit more licorice, too.)
Though the look was somewhat working, I found it to be overly sloppy.
The taste wasn't quite right either. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.
The cream cheese frosting, Twizzlers, and sugar cookie didn't quite go together.

Part 3: Back to the drawing board

Admittedly I was feeling defeated at this point.
The only idea I had that worked, I didn't like that much. By the time it was done,
I had only slightly changed the shape and decoration. Everything else was ordinary.
I went back to brainstorming what I could change...
Texture.
Flavor.

I found that the cookie was still very flexible when it was partly done,
and then it stayed in that form instead of plopping into a pathetic circle.
I was able to make a waffle-like shape!

wafffle.jpg

NEXT UP: My biggest fail of the day.
I added maple syrup, cream soda, brown sugar, and a little more flour to the batter. This was the result:

fail.jpg

Part 4: I've got a fever, and the only prescription, is more flour.

I added more and more flour, then some flour and a little extra flour to be safe.
I omitted the cream soda, guessing it did nothing. The test cookie came out lovely! Now I decided to focus on the frosting.
Originally, but then I remembered "coffee." Desperate to make the breakfast theme come
full circle, I mixed together coffee, butter, cocoa, vanilla, and powdered sugar. LOTS of powdered sugar.
Then some cream soda was thrown in because for some reason I feel the desire to add that to everything. I had WAY too much frosting...

frosting.jpg

I frosted them with the chocolate/coffee frosting in a manner that made it look
like syrup, and added a dollop of cream cheese frosting to look like butter.

waff.jpg

I was ready to make my dozen. Here's the basic process:
4.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

Is it desirable?

I was home so I only had my parents to ask, but they said they honestly thought the cookies tasted great.
I asked my roommate, too when I got back. Hopefully the class will agree.

Recipe

Sugar Saps

Makes 24 servings (2 dozen).

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon of maple syrup

Frosting
Mix 1 tablespoon of hot coffee and 1/3 tablespoon of melted butter.
Add...
1 tablespoon of cocoa
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of cream soda
Mix all these together, then...
Add powdered sugar until you get the desired consistency.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
3. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets. Put in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
4. Remove cookies from oven and push in the sides with a fork or spatula to make a square shape.
Add three evenly space horizontal and 3 vertical lines on the surface of the cookie. Put back in the oven for 3 minutes.
5. Take the cookies out and shape them again; this time push down harder. Put the cookies back in for 2 minutes to let them finish baking.
6. Remove cookies and let them cool. Let the chocolate frosting drip on in an x shape. Put a dab cream cheese frosting in the center.
Refrigerate till the frosting hardens and store or serve.

Original sugar cookies recipe credit of http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-sugar-cookies/?scale=24&ismetric=0

So it's feasible and desirable... Is it novel?

People have made cookies in waffle makers before, but they look different because they weren't made this way. Mine are bite-sized and decorated with "syrup and butter". To my knowledge, no one has made a waffle-shaped cookie with maple flavoring and coffee syrup with cream cheese butter.

Recent Comments

• tebej001: Your presentation was very detailed in information and I can read more
  • simpk024: Hi Nicole, Loved your idea today in the Shark Tank. read more
  • schw1562: Hi Nicole, Nice job on your chart. I sympathize with read more
  • wall0752: Hi Nicole! Great blog! Regarding the survey issues you had read more
  • Josh Thorson: Hey Nicole! Your post here was very well thought out read more
  • yanxx184: Hello Nicole: Your blog is clean and nice, your layout read more
  • aixxx020: Nicole, I loved how you came up with all the read more
  • alfal003: Nicole, I believe you did a really good job covering read more
  • altxx045: Definitely a solid blog post overall! Perhaps a picture of read more
  • armst429: I like your variant of Scattergories - that would definitely read more

Recent Assets

• pugh.jpg
  • sunbursts.jpg
  • 2 by 2 sun lamp.jpg
  • 2 by 2 ice cream.jpg
  • 2 by 2 SHOWER.jpg
  • 2 by 2 glow blob.jpg
  • 2 by 2 sun candy.jpg
  • window frame lights.jpg
  • puppy playground.jpg
  • winter slideshow.jpg