Sugar Saps

Image4.jpg
Part 1: Ideation

I started off the assignment with making an associative map of the cookie.
I noted ways to make my cookie it differ from the norm.

Associative Map

Is it Novel?

Over the week, I came up with different ideas of what I wanted to try.
I thought of such things as peach cookies shaped like peaches (or princess peach), cookies shaped like salmonella typhimirium,
small neon cookies, cookies that looked like pancakes or waffles, and cookies shaped like poop.
I wrote them down in my brainstorming journal and then googled them. Based on my Google Image results, I rated them 0-5 on how "novel" they were. Here's what I decided:

Peach cookies - 2.5
Poop Cookies - 2
Salmonella Cookies - 4.5+
Honey cookies - 1.5
Neon Bites - 4
Anti-Valentine's - 1
Coffee Cookies - 3
Pancake Cookies - 2
Waffle Cookies - 3

I decided I wanted to try making either small, square, brightly colored cookies or salmonella cookies.
I was leaning toward the latter because I enjoyed the irony, but I looked for supplies for both.

Part 2: Is it feasible?

The question "Is it feasible?" became an ominous one and I spent my entire Saturday answering it.
Being a total noob to baking, I made some rookie mistakes.
I followed a basic sugar cookies recipe, and did some experimenting with form (and a little with color).
This was my first major fail of the day:

before.jpg

8 minutes later...

after.jpg

I realized quickly that changing the color nor height would do anything.
Even moderate shape changes weren't working out so well.
At this point I decided the best plan of action was to make oblong microbe cookies,
and just color the frosting. Once done, I added "Twizzler Pull and Peel" strings;
these photos were my inspiration:

salm.jpg SalmonellaNIAID.jpg

They turned out like this:

salm cookie.jpg

(I planned on adding a bit more licorice, too.)
Though the look was somewhat working, I found it to be overly sloppy.
The taste wasn't quite right either. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.
The cream cheese frosting, Twizzlers, and sugar cookie didn't quite go together.

Part 3: Back to the drawing board

Admittedly I was feeling defeated at this point.
The only idea I had that worked, I didn't like that much. By the time it was done,
I had only slightly changed the shape and decoration. Everything else was ordinary.
I went back to brainstorming what I could change...
Texture.
Flavor.

I found that the cookie was still very flexible when it was partly done,
and then it stayed in that form instead of plopping into a pathetic circle.
I was able to make a waffle-like shape!

wafffle.jpg

NEXT UP: My biggest fail of the day.
I added maple syrup, cream soda, brown sugar, and a little more flour to the batter. This was the result:

fail.jpg

Part 4: I've got a fever, and the only prescription, is more flour.

I added more and more flour, then some flour and a little extra flour to be safe.
I omitted the cream soda, guessing it did nothing. The test cookie came out lovely! Now I decided to focus on the frosting.
Originally, but then I remembered "coffee." Desperate to make the breakfast theme come
full circle, I mixed together coffee, butter, cocoa, vanilla, and powdered sugar. LOTS of powdered sugar.
Then some cream soda was thrown in because for some reason I feel the desire to add that to everything. I had WAY too much frosting...

frosting.jpg

I frosted them with the chocolate/coffee frosting in a manner that made it look
like syrup, and added a dollop of cream cheese frosting to look like butter.

waff.jpg

I was ready to make my dozen. Here's the basic process:
4.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

Is it desirable?

I was home so I only had my parents to ask, but they said they honestly thought the cookies tasted great.
I asked my roommate, too when I got back. Hopefully the class will agree.

Recipe

Sugar Saps

Makes 24 servings (2 dozen).

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon of maple syrup

Frosting
Mix 1 tablespoon of hot coffee and 1/3 tablespoon of melted butter.
Add...
1 tablespoon of cocoa
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of cream soda
Mix all these together, then...
Add powdered sugar until you get the desired consistency.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
3. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets. Put in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
4. Remove cookies from oven and push in the sides with a fork or spatula to make a square shape.
Add three evenly space horizontal and 3 vertical lines on the surface of the cookie. Put back in the oven for 3 minutes.
5. Take the cookies out and shape them again; this time push down harder. Put the cookies back in for 2 minutes to let them finish baking.
6. Remove cookies and let them cool. Let the chocolate frosting drip on in an x shape. Put a dab cream cheese frosting in the center.
Refrigerate till the frosting hardens and store or serve.

Original sugar cookies recipe credit of http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-sugar-cookies/?scale=24&ismetric=0

So it's feasible and desirable... Is it novel?

People have made cookies in waffle makers before, but they look different because they weren't made this way. Mine are bite-sized and decorated with "syrup and butter". To my knowledge, no one has made a waffle-shaped cookie with maple flavoring and coffee syrup with cream cheese butter.

I love this! You have showed some great creativity and it's fun to read about your whole process. I admire your persistence, even after some failures. They truly brought you to better ideas which resulted in a cookie I'm very excited to try. I was surprised that your frosting that was the waffle's "syrup" didn't actually have any maple syrup in it. I like that because it's not predictable. It's out-of-box and creative, just what this assignment called for.
Good job overall, I look forward to trying it!

I really enjoyed the sense of humor with which you went about creating your new cookie. Especially the before and after images of the sugar cookies in different shapes all becoming flat round basic cookies. The amount of experimentation was definitely a good thing! Also, the idea of making a cookie that looks like salmonella is novel to say the least. The process definitely took you in interesting directions, the only critique I would say is that maybe you could have focused down on one idea earlier on and made iterations of that idea. I do like the combination of ingredients and texture that resulted however!