Friday Random Top Ten - Labor Day Edition

roy.jpg

In the tradition of American Idle and Rox Pop, every Friday I will turn the I-Pod to shuffle and see what it spits out. This Friday's Top Ten:

1. New Soft Shoe - Gram Parsons
2. Peace on Earth - U2
3. Black - Pearl Jam
4. John Wayne Gacy Jr. - Sufjan Stevens
5. Misunderstood - Wilco
6. Heat Wave - The Half Dozen
7. Big Star - Jayhawks
8. Rosie - Joan Armatrading
9. Only the Lonely - Roy Orbison
10. With a Little Help From my Friends - The Beatles

Favorite song this week - Strange Fruit by Billie Holiday. This is a very powerful song about lynchings. It was performed by Billie Holiday in the 30's and 40's when lynchings of black men went practically unabated in the South. The quiet rage she brings to this song, the bewilderment, the sadness...cuts like a knive.

What's on your top 10?

I like to think that when I hit the shuffle button on my Ipod, it goes by the kind of day im having or mood im in. Lets try and figure this one out.

My top ten:

1. Cowboy - Kid Rock

2. Time after Time - Cyndi Lauper

3. Forgiven(acoustic) - Alani Morisette

4. Country Boy can Survive - Hank Williams Jr.

5. Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash

6. Winner Takes it All - ABBA

7. I like the Way you Move - Bodyrockers

8. My Place in this World - Michael W Smith

9. Lord is it Mine - Supertramp

10. American Bad Ass - Kid Rock

What I dig about this blog is that it shows the range of what a person listens to. The problem is that in a single iPod family with four kids and divergent musical tastes ... well, it yields somewhat schizophrenic results:

1. Exhaltation - Matisyahu

2. The Leaving Song, Part 2 - A.F.I.

3. Sweet Hitchhiker - Creedence Clearwater Revival

4. The Wait - Metallica

5. A Night in Tunisia - The Quintet (Powell, Parker, Gillespie, Mingus and Roach)

6. Majesty - Caedmon's Call

7. Don't Come Around Here No More - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

8. Suspicious Minds - Dwight Yoakam

9. Broken Boy Soldiers - The Raconteurs

10. Untitled (Red Dot) - Pearl Jam

Reminds me a bit of The Current in its propensity to give you whiplash -- the only radio station I know to play The Pixies, Elvis Presley, Louis Prima and LL Cool J -- sometimes back to back!

I enjoyed your top ten this week ...Misunderstood is one of my favorite Wilco songs. I'm going to look up the song Strange Fruit...I've never heard it, but the was you describe it makes me think I need to.

Here's my I-pod top 10

1. Laura Contrell-Old Downtown
2. Al Green- Let's Stay Together
3. The Rembrandts-Just the Way it is Baby
4. Cat Stevens-Father and Son
5. Jamie Cullum-All at Sea
6. Neko Case-Favorite
7. Damien Rice-Blowers Daughter
8. Nancy Sinatra-Sugartown
9. Honey Dogs- I Miss You
10. Elvis Costello- Red Shoes

Neko Case's voice blows me away...if you get a chance to see her live..do it...she's amazing.

Those are some cool lists, thanks. Kathy, believe it our not, I have three of your songs on my I-Pod too! Jim - I do my random top ten off my i-pod, not I-tunes, otherwise I would also get my daughter's Bonz N' Thugg Harmony or my son's Korn songs on my list. But I do agree, it is interesting to see what comes up on the list. Sometimes I'm surprised, other times, it fits my music tastes dead on. Shawn, thanks for suggesting that I list my favorite song each week. What I've tried to do is not necessarily list my favorite song of the week, but my favorite songs ever. It's prompted me to think about what songs I really like and why.

My top 10 was off my i-Pod, too -- it serves as road-trip entertainment, so everything's on there, including my wife's favorites and the kids' stuff.

The list is legit for me, because it reflects the truth of my musical life, if not my musical tastes ...

And *my* music still would've kicked out Metallica, Bud Powell and Dwight Yoakam -- and I'd still have whiplash!

Tubes successively: Thats the internets.

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

Wonderful work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the web. Shame on Google for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my website . Thanks =)

Hello! I simply would like to give you a huge thumbs up for this wonderful information you've in this article on this posting. I'll be coming back to your blog for more soon.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on September 1, 2006 8:00 AM.

One Less Hurdle! was the previous entry in this blog.

Worst. Summer. Movie. Season. Ever! is the next entry in this blog.