Steve Jobs is Right

Recently Steve Jobs, head of Apple, publicly came out against DRM (Digital Right Management). DRM, for those who don’t know, is the software that recording companies put on legally downloaded music so that it cannot be shared. It’s why you can’t play songs downloaded via I-tunes on your Zune or use switch all those songs from Rhapsody to your new I-pod.

Steve Jobs basically says don’t blame Apple for DRM, it’s the record companies that are making us put DRM on all our downloaded songs. Apple would rather make songs available DRM-free. Now of course Apple could probably do more to change the record company’s behavior regarding DRM but in the end he’s right. DRM has got to go.

When I buy a CD (which I still do too much of), I can play it on my main stereo, my computer, a boombox, my car, my kids can play it on their boomboxes. I can bring it to my neighbor and play it and if I forget it at his house, he can play it without me around. When I get sick of the CD, I can sell it to Cheapo records and someone else can then buy it and play it on their stereo equipment. However, when you legally download a song this flexibility is not available. Depending on what program you are using, downloaded song are restricted to what computer it can be played on, the number of times it can be played, subscriptions have to be maintained in order to continue to listen to a song, and of course you can’t change .mp3 players because the song will only play on certain players. And the record companies wonder why millions of songs are downloaded illegally every year?

Now I don’t envy the recording industry. It is very simple to illegally download a song onto your computer. An eight-year-old with moderate computer skills could probably do it. I understand their concern about rights infringements and paying artists for their songs. However the current system with DRM does not work and only encourages people to illegally download music. A simple, DRM-free, legal means to download music is needed that allows anyone who downloads a song to have the same listening flexibility as someone who purchases a CD. Until the recording industry recognizes this fact, wholesale illegal downloading of music will continue.

What do you think?

I guess I'm an anti-DRM sympathizer at heart, but honestly, I think wholesale illegal downloading will continue regardless. It's easy for Jobs to advocate the abolishment of DRM -- he makes his money on the hardware. If I'm the record company, though, I'd want to continue preventing casual piracy as much as possible (which they've actually done pretty well so far, if my interactions with computer-illiterate folks are any indication).

I don't think dumping DRM would hurt the record industry, but I don't see the move helping them either. There are still some minor speedbumps (for most folks) to purchase a CD, convert it to digital format, and then distribute it, and it's not crazy to want some similar mechanism in place for purchased downloaded songs.

As usual, pretty insightful comments spycake. I don't believe no DRM will completely stop illegal downloading of music but it sure would make legal downloading more desirable and at this point in time, the recording industry needs all the help it can get. With DRM it is embracing strategies that foster illegal downloads.

You make some good points. With no DRM and more online music stores, I could see the prices becoming so cheap as to render piracy less attractive.

Of course, record companies would still need to keep pressure on limiting the ease/convenience of KaZaa and other filesharing services. And these record companies simply see DRM as another prong in that strategy. It will take some convincing for them to separate the two and radically change their business model as noted above.

Importing and exporting has become a risky endeavor with sites like alibaba being flooded withthieves robbing good people's money stackand never communicating again. When people start researching importing and exporting, they're often the top source of information discovered. Good read though.

Poor Steve Jobs. I didn't know he had a cancer. Sending prayers for his family. It's a pity he died at such young age.

Despite the fact that it is correct that he was away from work, it has been a terrible misfortune. Bye bye Jobs.

Valuable information and excellent design you were given here! I have to thanks for sharing your thoughts and time in the issues you post!! Thumbs up

I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…

Okay, We're by using Different Pair along with a brand new format when i just transferred identified as "Learn CSS" that is developed particularly for the string. Area A pair of will undoubtedly be shared down the road today. You can have a look at new structure as well as move it what you believeCascading stylesheet program via the internet and it is recently been great but it really calls for so long as as they experience reputation of web coding and commence as a result of step # 1 plus browse through each kind have, one at a time. I am getting anxious and even shedding attraction simply because it was basically getting for as long. My spouse and i stumbled across your website as I was seeing someone elses website inside exact industry I get straight to and discovered many people applied you actually regarding their web page. Concerning the starting of my site started out though are not able to accomplish the idea since I should have never acquire ever again tutes just for backlinking the pages and even driving them to perform and doing information. What is search for this info throughout Message Advertising or some other info website? We appreciate you the good start and so i hope to be capable to stop and have my site right up shortly.Appreciated studying your posting in this case Kim. Desire everything comes clearly suitable for you. Please make sure to returning and blog post a keyword rich link for a complete web page las vegas bankruptcy lawyer performed (if that is authorized here). I had be interested to check out it all. Likely different these can even enjoy visiting them realizing that it's result may be influenced And instructed from this very good tute collection as a result of Andreas Viklund. (We are performing my strategy thru them.)I am getting upon in years at this moment however have under no circumstances shed the need that should be taught a new challenge. The top detail I purchased in several years is undoubtedly my best excellent laptop netbook computer and then the ideal some tips i used them pertaining to could be to gain knowledge of important knowledge something like this. Thank you.Its amazing that we have constantly individuals who make an effort to aid others. In this instance Free of cost joomla templates ¨C ideal for individuals who can't afford paid off a single as well as cash php/html/photoshop encounter. Thank you!We developed fantastic move forward now maintaining a lot of our concentration on the main plane ticket regarding wp.newPost and accommodating maintain your many other bits of the API looking after a similar sizes. Some of our A couple workweek spiral was over about Thursday and now we are actually about that has a spot available regarding devote yet didn?ˉt very make it of time. The group usually are going forward work on the period and can re-group concerning Friday to review growth and even method the next menstrual cycle.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on February 14, 2007 2:44 PM.

10 ways the 2007 Grammys Sucked was the previous entry in this blog.

Friday Random Top 10 is the next entry in this blog.