30 Best Loved Albums - Some Girls

2007 will bring the 30th anniversary of my first rock concert (Kiss, December 2, 1977 – Metropolitan Sports Center). In honor of that momentous event I have decided to use this blog to review my 30 best loved albums. They will not be in any order or progression but I will try to review them musically and why they mean so much to me. I’ll also note if they made the Definitive 200 List. Here's number 8 on the list:

some girls.jpg
8. Rollings Stones - Some Girls (1978)

As the last great Rolling Stones album, Some Girls came out at a time of enormous flux in popular music. In 1978, disco was still hugely popular and of course all the cool kids knew about punk. Most of the rock giants from the 60’s were either burnt out, gone, or easing into the nostalgia circuit. But not the Stones, they delivered one of their finest albums, one that covered disco, punk, and of course straight ahead rock and rock. There is/was only one band that could pull off such an effort and make it work, and for that reason alone Some Girls deserves a place on my list of Top 30 Albums.

One reason I really like Some Girls is that it not only reflects the times in which it was made but also reflects where the Rolling Stones were as a band and as individuals. By 1978 the Rolling Stones were a good decade into their “Greatest Rock and Roll Band? stage, with all the money, groupies, drugs, and adulation that goes with it. Jetting off to Rio, or St. Moritz, or New York, or Tokyo was a weekly occurrence and the Stones obliged by having houses, girlfriends, and parties at all the world’s hot spots, always ready to hit the scene with other beautiful people.

Thankfully the Rolling Stones music didn’t suffer with all this jet setting, in fact, at the time of Some Girls’ recording, Keith Richards was cleaner -- drug wise – than he had been for years. The recording sessions were in Paris and by all accounts were extremely productive. In fact the song Start Me Up was first recorded for Some Girls but Keith argued against its inclusion because he thought he stole the riff (turns out it was his own riff he stole). Just think how great this album would have been if it had also included Start Me Up?!! Wowza!

The album crosses many musical genres with the Stones putting their signature on Disco (Miss You), Country (Far Away Eyes), Motown (Imagination), and Punk (Shattered). The rest are straight ahead rock and rollers with the song Respectable an overlooked classic that should be dissected and taught in Rock School. The album ends with the song Shattered which perfectly described New York City circa 1978. The album got a lot of radio play and I purchased it shortly after it was released (with the Farrah Fawcett and Lucille Ball images on the cover, since changed due to lawsuits) and hungrily lapped it up in all its rock and roll glory. Besides the songs listed above, Keith Richards’ Before They Make Me Run and Beast of Burden were favorites. It was the perfect Rolling Stones album with a solid rhythm section, Keith’s fantastic riffs, and Mick’s vocals unmatched before or since.

The album ended up being one of the Rolling Stones biggest selling albums and for better or worse resurrected their career and ensured that they would be recording and releasing albums of new material well into the next millennium.

Rank in the Definitive 200: Not on the list!

What do you think of Some Girls?

Good choice! It's odd to go back and listen to what some of these great bands put out during the disco era. The Stones did not embarrass themselves!

Nice one for moving some misconception. Can not put it off to evaluate them all!

Oh, well! You didn't say you were letting her eat off the good china. That makes everything okays;You did get the business and I was one of the first in line.:-) But clearly, you're doing more than right by the cat.

Amazing! You did a great job. You should write a lot!

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will come back very soon. I want to encourage you continue your great work, have a nice evening!

If you're still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you'll know which is right for you.

merchant payday advances

Sweet internet site , super pattern , real clean and use pleasant.

Might I simply say what a help to find anyone who really knows exactly what they're sharing on the internet. You definitely recognize how to take a major issue to light and enable it to be critical. Even more people require to learn this particular and comprehend it all side of the story. I can't believe you aren't very popular as you really have the gift.

It’s hard to find knowledgeable folks on this subject, but you sound like you recognize what you’re talking about! Thanks

My husband and i have been so contented when Jordan managed to round up his survey from the precious recommendations he acquired from your very own blog. It's not at all simplistic to simply happen to be giving away facts which many others may have been trying to sell. Therefore we fully understand we have got the writer to appreciate for this. All of the explanations you have made, the straightforward blog navigation, the friendships your site make it easier to promote - it's got all extraordinary, and it's assisting our son and the family imagine that this content is thrilling, and that is particularly vital. Thank you for the whole thing!

It can be fairly wonderful just how often the easiest concept transforms in to a full post, don’t you think so? You post well, and I actually wish I got a bit of the talent to put in writing by myself! — Tom

Howdy, this is a great write-up. You get my vote for 30 Best Loved Albums - Some Girls - Lost Forest After Dark and also I will bookmark this blog right now.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on April 30, 2007 10:12 AM.

Friday Random Top 10 was the previous entry in this blog.

Mission Accomplished! is the next entry in this blog.