30 Best Loved Albums - Overrated Albums

2007 will bring the 30th anniversary of my first rock concert (Kiss, December 2, 1977 – Metropolitan Sports Center). In honor of that momentous event I have decided to use this blog to review my 30 best loved albums. They will not be in any order or progression but I will try to review them musically and why they mean so much to me. I’ll also note if they made the Definitive 200 List.

This week I am going a slightly different route and want to discuss albums that I didn’t like. Below is a list of albums that were generally well received either by critics or fans. They make top album lists or are considered fan favorites. For one reason or another I just don’t like these albums, think they’re overrated, or are just plain bad.

Pink Floyd – The Wall (1979) Talk about depressing dreck. This double album has one good song (Comfortably Numb) and a bunch of inane goobly-gook. If I never hear Another Brick in the Wall ever again, I’ll be extremely happy. (Rated 25th on the Definitive 200)

The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street (1972) While I agree that there are a couple of good songs on this album, it doesn’t deserve its lofty status as “The greatest rock and roll album ever.? As with most double albums, some selective pruning could have helped immensely. A decent album, but there at least four Rolling Stones album that are better. Classify this one under overrated. (Rated 6th on the Definitive 200)

The Hold Steady – Boys and Girls in America (2006) This is an album that, based on my other musical tastes, I should like. However I just have never gotten into it. I’ve never liked Craig Finn’s sing-talking and the name checking of Twin Cities locales gets rather tiresome. An o.k. album that just doesn’t deserve all the praise it received. (Not on the Definitive 200)

Sufjan Stevens – Illinois (2005) This is another critically acclaimed recent album that I just don’t get. I love the song Chicago and could listen to that song all day long. The rest of the album just puts me to sleep. It’s boring, repetitious and, and inconsequential. (Not on the Definitive 200)

Anything by the Dave Matthews Band. This is might be cheating but I have never heard a song by this band that I didn’t just immediately hate - ‘nuff said. (Crash is ranked #48 on the Definitive 200)

What popular or critically acclaimed album do you not like or think is overrated?

First 10 albums reviewed:
Pretenders – Pretenders (3/12)
Replacements – Let It Be (3/19)
Nirvana – Nevermind (3/26)
Johnny Cash – American Recordings (4/2)
Guided By Voices – Bee Thousand (4/9)
Bob Dylan – Blonde on Blonde (4/16)
The Beatles – Abbey Road (4/23)
The Rolling Stones – Some Girls (4/30)
U2 – All That You Can’t Leave Behind (5/7)
Elvis Costello – This Years Model (5/14)

I second that on "The Wall." I mean, I get it, the English school system is/was bad and the songwriters had abusive teachers. That doesn't mean I want to hear about it for a whole album.

I also agree on the Hold Steady - I think 'Separation Sunday' was their best album so far, recognizing that there are a few songs on "Almost Killed Me" that are better than any single song on "Sunday."

I completely agree with you on the Dave Matthews band. I never got that. He's a talented guitar player, but his voice grates on me like fingernails on a chalkboard. Guys like Dave Matthews are the reason Cities 97 exists.

hey i think Sufjan Stevens' "Illinois" is a great record. maybe you're not old enough to "get it."
i'm 58.
rusty

by the way, the so-called Definitive 200 List is loaded with lots of truly terrible unimportant albums. flawed, it may be, but rolling stone's top 500 albums list [aside from a bunch of forgettible r&b] is a much better list

Hey Rusty, thanks for the comments. As for Sufjan Stevens, that album came highly rated from people who's taste in music I respect, I tried and tried to like it but just couldn't.

As for the Definitive 200, I agree with you and am using it to demonstrate how out of whack it really is.

Check out my other album reviews and leave comments!

I'm very with you guys on this list, except for The Wall, which is actually one of the best albums ever recorded.

Nice linkage on Buzzfeed, btw!

"Exile" overrated?!? You've been huffing gas!

Beerzie, I get your point and I agree that "Exile" is a decent album. However it is not "the greatest rock and roll album ever." That's why I consider it overrated - it just doesn't meet the hype.

sufjan stevens is talented i give you - but as a trickster, a con artist. and so many people are duped by his sleight of hand - as he throws in row upon row of cheerleaders and woodwinders - the eyes and the ears boggling with all the colours and pretty shapes. and just when everyone starts to wake up and rub their eyes, and think, wow was it really all a dream - sufjan bursts into tears... because everybody loves a crybaby.

the only one i disagree with is the stones one - which i think is well smart. my suggestions include london calling by the clash, spirit of eden by talk talk. bollocks the both of them!

It's hard to say the Wall is overrated when you put it in proper context. This album is probably the most famous concept album of all time before anyone even knew what a concept album was. That has to count for something.

Great read , I'm going to spend more time reading about this subject

I'll gear this review to 2 types of people: current Zune owners who are considering an upgrade, and people trying to decide between a Zune and an iPod. (There are other players worth considering out there, like the Sony Walkman X, but I hope this gives you enough info to make an informed decision of the Zune vs players other than the iPod line as well.)

Бляди Киева - одна из стародавних работ. Спрос на путан - существует, и предостачочно не малый.

This page contains a single entry by Freealonzo published on May 21, 2007 8:54 AM.

Friday Random Top 10 was the previous entry in this blog.

The Wimpification of Wisconsin is the next entry in this blog.